Discuss Alarm Kit help? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JakeSS14

As an electrician, personally I've never had to install an intruder alarm. I've recently purchased my first home and am in the process of installing one.

Kit: Scantronic I-ON16 Wireless Alarm (Audible Kit)

Basically, (Control Panel (Radio Transmitter), Bellbox, 3 Room Sensor's, Keypad, Door sensor and fobs.)

Now i bought this as we completely decorated the house and it was an after thought, so i bought the wireless system.

As i understand the Control Box, needs a 240v supply.

Now it's also telling me that the keypad needs to be wired, why is this so ? I thought i purchased a fully wireless alarm system ? Surely if i have to run a alarm cable to the keypad it defeats the purpose of it being wireless.

I know this isn't in the correct forum but that forum was set to private so i thought this was the next best place to ask.

Thanks, Jake.

As an electrician, personally I've never had to install an intruder alarm. I've recently purchased my first home and am in the process of installing one.

Kit: Scantronic I-ON16 Wireless Alarm (Audible Kit)

Basically, (Control Panel (Radio Transmitter), Bellbox, 3 Room Sensor's, Keypad, Door sensor and fobs.)

Now i bought this as we completely decorated the house and it was an after thought, so i bought the wireless system.

As i understand the Control Box, needs a 240v supply.

Now it's also telling me that the keypad needs to be wired, why is this so ? I thought i purchased a fully wireless alarm system ? Surely if i have to run a alarm cable to the keypad it defeats the purpose of it being wireless.

I know this isn't in the correct forum but that forum was set to private so i thought this was the next best place to ask.

Thanks, Jake.

They do do a compatible wireless keypad Online Security Products Scantronic I-ON wireless keypad

It's been years since I worked on a wireless system, it had keyfobs, so no keypad, however it required an alarm cable from the control panel, to the outside bell. Along with the mains supply. Quite possibly no longer the case, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

It's been years since I worked on a wireless system, it had keyfobs, so no keypad, however it required an alarm cable from the control panel, to the outside bell. Along with the mains supply. Quite possibly no longer the case, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Thanks for the response, I don't think this requires a cable to the bellbox. I always love to be proven wrong though (not) :p

You still need a wired keypad on the ion 16 so you could put the wired one next to the panel then a wireless on wherever you want.

Your keypad is a vital component for you to control, silence, set your alarm having no backup other than a battery power can mean you have no way to operate your alarm or stop it if the battery fails, having at least 1 wired keypad allows for redudancy upon battery failure of a second wireless keypad... I'm not sure if a wired keypad is a regulation or not on such systems but it would make sense if it was the case. The last one I did was also a hard wired bell and keypad, the 2 points that do need to remain functional upon battery failure.

personally, i like the gardtech 600 system. bell and keypad are both hard wired but detectors are wireless. also 8 hard wired zones are available if required. i have a few of these installed with no problems. one of them has still got the original detector batteries in 5 years on.

Reply to Alarm Kit help? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net