Discuss alarms , hard wired vs wireless in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hadleigh sparks

I have been asked by a friend to install their alarm as they have been recently burgled. i have done a few over the last few years but to be honest i stray away from them as i prefer industrial and commercial wiring. I am NIC approved and cant be bothered to go down the nacoss route. but I will be putting my friends alarm in for their peace of mind.
my question is ( got their in the end) can i have all your opinions which is better , hard wired or wireless . what is the trade installing most of in current times.
cheers for your time

Hi,

I have been installing alarms for many years andf always have stuck to wired over wireless, but I must say the visonic range is excell

- - - Updated - - -

sorry guy dont know what happened there!!!!

As I was going to say

I am now hating my new PC, Must be female!!

As i was going to say
1 Easy to enroll detector,key fobs, bells etc
2 Can be brougt in a kit form 2 detectors 1 bell 1 control panel 2 key fobs already enrolled on system and this also includes a built in dialler
3 Fitting time should be no more than 3hrs including training of the customer

Brilliant thanks very much , sold on the wireless as their house is the most perfect with white carpets everwhere ( electricians nightmare ) will check out the visoninc range

I am now hating my new PC, Must be female!!

As i was going to say
1 Easy to enroll detector,key fobs, bells etc
2 Can be brougt in a kit form 2 detectors 1 bell 1 control panel 2 key fobs already enrolled on system and this also includes a built in dialler
3 Fitting time should be no more than 3hrs including training of the customer

We all have our preferences - I stick with Scantronic I-on for radio, but always prefer to instal wired if at all possible.

Regards.

Fitted the wireless scantronic I-on 16 to my own house 2 years ago as can't praise it enough
both have their advantages/disadvantages, wired is cheaper but it's got the wires that you need to hide. If cost isnt a major factor go for wireless. It costs about £100 to buy wired, £300 for wire free

When installing alarms, I always use wired systems.Texecom is my preferred make, who do offer some advanced wireless systems.I have added wireless devices to a wired system, and it has caused nothing but trouble for me. Receiver in loft, and detector in remote garage (no more than 20m away). The detector is often generating a system fault.

i use gardtec panels with wireless detectors from risco and have only ever had 1 problem with 1 installation being prone to crashing with a power cut. can be bought as a kit inc. 6 detectors for just over £200+ VAT.

When installing alarms, I always use wired systems.Texecom is my preferred make, who do offer some advanced wireless systems.I have added wireless devices to a wired system, and it has caused nothing but trouble for me. Receiver in loft, and detector in remote garage (no more than 20m away). The detector is often generating a system fault.

wireless is very reliable now,for domestics id probably go wireless everytime customers prefer it to having boards lifted etc,id stick to wired for commercial ,are you getting radio faults or false alarms

wireless is very reliable now,for domestics id probably go wireless everytime customers prefer it to having boards lifted etc,id stick to wired for commercial ,are you getting radio faults or false alarms
I am assuming Radio faults.The log just says zone fault, with no clear indication of the cause.

I believe that the scant tonic I-on series do a system that is both wired and wireless, very handy if you want to upgrade an existing wired alarm with additional zones.

these wireless ones sound very impresive bet the alarm guys arent happy though less money for them with these

But they are generally quicker to fit! And for alarms, the revenue from annual servicing visits can be more important that the installation profit (though I appreciate that for many sparks it's the installation element that counts).

Regards

I've never fitted one (or even see one).

Is it just a case of running a mains supply to the panel then everthing else is wireless, keypad, bell, sensors etc?

I've never fitted one (or even see one).

Is it just a case of running a mains supply to the panel then everthing else is wireless, keypad, bell, sensors etc?

At it's simplest, yes. Some systems still hard wire the RKP and/or external sounder, but often have wireless options. If you are going to install regularly, it's better to use one manufacturer and get to know the kit (and the quirks) well. Wireless has come a long way, but signal strength and interference are still issues to watch. Like all systems, getting to understand the programming and possible/likely source of faults is important too. Battery life has talen major steps forward over the last few years.

Regards

When I surfing I read information : Hardwired alarm panels are less expensive than wireless panels, but they are harder to install. Keep this in mind if you are planning on doing the installation yourself. An average home installation with a hard-wired system takes min 12-16 hours. A typical wireless installation will take less than 4 hours. The wireless system is helpful.

Reply to alarms , hard wired vs wireless in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock