Discuss All new homes to have PV panels as standard? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

so all new houses would be built with south facing roofs?????

but then all roads would have to run east-west. nowhere to turn, no corner shops, hmmm.

Now all's they need to do is start building new houses, anyways these people say anything to get their 15 minutes, get power a turn into creatures from a slime pond, you dont have to look to far back to the greenest government ever statment.

Last edited by a moderator:
New houses have to be built to the code for sustainable homes. Depending on the required level of the developer/planners will dictate the type of renewable technology that can be employed. By far the easiest and cheapest is solar PV. It matters squat whether its placed on a South or North Facing roof in order to get the necessary points for code compliance. Wrong really as it achieves nothing in the wrong location apart from ticking a box that would be more expensive to tick with a different technology (that will be of benefit to the client/end user).

For this reason there should still be a market for PV but it won't come from retrofit domestic clients, more from private developers and housing associations. If you are a good contractor and can keep in with the main contractors, theres still good opportunities.

they only fit very small installs to satisy the requirements though. round here most seem to go for Solar Thermal of pumps rather than PV as they are cheaper to reach compliance requirement

Sorry got to disagree - he's a ....... I forgot I'm not allowed to call people that. I get sent to the naughty corner :) If you read what he says he thinks it's a really good idea to install solar on all new houses - that'll be the ones that aren't being built at the minute then ... or even at best 5% of the housing stock and the 5% that are built to the highest energy efficiency standards anyway!

But his sentiments are well intentioned. Naturally if all new builds are built with solar, prices for solar panels will plummet (because the 100k new houses built last year are obviously more than the 100k older houses that had solar installed so the cost of panels is bound to drop). Sorry it's beyond me - why would you decimate an industry and then suggest installing on new build so everyone in older properties could benefit from the lower prices?

As I remember it - that was the point for Fit and as far as I can see reductions of almost 50% indicate how successful it was.

If I sound a bit sore - you're dead right I am! 30kwp in Feb, big fat 0 in March - 2 quotes so far, one refused already.

Another point to note its not just new builds going forward part L of building regulations will require home owners to improve the existing house's Energy performance on top of a home improvement such as a Extension.

Reply to All new homes to have PV panels as standard? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net