Discuss All Rcbos in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jack of all

Someones told me that to comply with the latest regs then a split load board with half the circuits as rcbos & the rest on mcbs with an RCD is no good & all rcbos is the way to go.
I can see the point but it seems overkill ???

Someones told me that to comply with the latest regs then a split load board with half the circuits as rcbos & the rest on mcbs with an RCD is no good & all rcbos is the way to go.
Someone has been telling you porkies mate

Dual RCD CU complies with 17th full stop. Anything with RCBO's which will reduce disruption to rest of install under single circuit earth fault condition is going to be better but certainly not a requirement.

His idea was that no interaction between circuits is allowed & one circuit tripping the RCD and taking out several others is interaction.
Thanks for the replies ... I'm not totally up to speed with things & I'm thankful of that input..

His idea was that no interaction between circuits is allowed & one circuit tripping the RCD and taking out several others is interaction.
Thanks for the replies ... I'm not totally up to speed with things & I'm thankful of that input..

He is right in what he is saying. However it is not a requirement. Ask him to quote regulation that stipulates RCBO's.

The Regulation that refers to this is: "314.2 Separate circuits shall be provided for parts of the installation which need to be separately controlled, in such a way that those circuits are not affected by the failure of other circuits, and due account shall be taken of the consequences of the operation of any single protective device."

An all RCBO CU/DB be they SP+N or SP is by far superior to the common split 17th ed CU's or it's predecessors. They are to all intent and purpose, an industry cost effective compromise, that to my mind is not really fit for purpose. eg, ...a problem on one circuit can and will affect several other circuits.

Where a TT installation is involved, the RCBO's should be SP+N or DP.....

I know the trade does love it's abbreviations & changing the names for stuff & since it seems that earth has to be T for Terra then the old PME (permanent earth .. now defunked ) ought to be PMT...

LOL

I know the trade does love it's abbreviations & changing the names for stuff & since it seems that earth has to be T for Terra then the old PME (permanent earth .. now defunked ) ought to be PMT...

LOL

Permanent Earth???? what's that then

Reply to All Rcbos in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net