Discuss alternative for manual starter in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hello thanks in advance this is my third post.
my question is if i can use an alternative to this manual starter? even maybe just an industrial 3 phase switch? rated same voltage and amp?
600v 30a the machine is an oil filter /pump that saves them from having to use new oil every time they run other machines. the oil is insanely expensive. ill send the info for the pump in a bit

TL;DR
can i use a heavy duty three pole switch instead of a manual starter rated same volt and amp?

Attachments

• alternative for manual starter 041750B3-48A1-47E5-ACD1-6614BCAD48FB - EletriciansForums.net
    041750B3-48A1-47E5-ACD1-6614BCAD48FB.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 17
  • alternative for manual starter 17B35A31-F551-4991-B82D-6ECB8578BAF6 - EletriciansForums.net
    17B35A31-F551-4991-B82D-6ECB8578BAF6.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 17
  • alternative for manual starter 9A753F86-EA17-48BB-9E88-97346D054CCD - EletriciansForums.net
    9A753F86-EA17-48BB-9E88-97346D054CCD.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 17
my question is if i can use an alternative to this manual starter? even maybe just an industrial 3 phase switch? rated same voltage and amp?
Possibly, but a simple switch for a big motor is a bad idea, and quite possibly against some aspects of the USA wiring code (probably @Megawatt will know.)

First point is most motor starters also incorporate motor overload protection, which is usually a slow thermal trip (adjustable, often) and somewhat distinct from the supply fuses/breaker that are usually only for fault protection (e.g. short to ground). Bypassing that could prove very expensive if you burn out the motor or damage related gear trains, etc.

Second point is motor starters are usually no-volt-release, so if the power fails for any reason, when it comes back on you don't get machines jumping in to life. Possibly injuring someone who was investigating the stoppage, and possibly taking out the main supply if all motors attempted a simultaneous start.

What are you trying to achieve by replacing it? It is simply faulty, or do you have some specific operational/automation reason?

Possibly, but a simple switch for a big motor is a bad idea, and quite possibly against some aspects of the USA wiring code (probably @Megawatt will know.)

First point is most motor starters also incorporate motor overload protection, which is usually a slow thermal trip (adjustable, often) and somewhat distinct from the supply fuses/breaker that are usually only for fault protection (e.g. short to ground). Bypassing that could prove very expensive if you burn out the motor or damage related gear trains, etc.

Second point is motor starters are usually no-volt-release, so if the power fails for any reason, when it comes back on you don't get machines jumping in to life. Possibly injuring someone who was investigating the stoppage, and possibly taking out the main supply if all motors attempted a simultaneous start.

What are you trying to achieve by replacing it? It is simply faulty, or do you have some specific operational/automation reason?
Yes I figured that overload protection was important so I just got them a new one and replaced the old one.. it was for an oil filter of some sort. a heavy duty one. i admit i was just looking for a legal shortcut to buying a new manual starter as the switch i already had in my shop compared to the square d manual starter is about a $1000 difference.. I have the old one now, Any way to fix mag starters?

Reply to alternative for manual starter in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock