Discuss alternative heating to night storage heating in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

blameme

I have been asked what alternative I can come up with for heating a house that is currently heated by night storage heating. The owner would like to avoid underfloor heating or installing pipes. The house has no gas either and is on off/on peak tarriff, which they would like to chane to a normal cheaper tariff.

The exclusions would seem to limit you to panel type electric heaters which (assuming cables are in an acceptable condition) can utilise the old storage heater wiring.

As for a cheaper tariff, I doubt if the off-peak system can be beaten, but you'd get a much more flexible and responsive system.

Don't really see any alternatives given the restrictions you have I would think panel heaters or fan convector heaters would be way to costly on standard electricity tariffs also how is their water heated. Unless they are going to install an alternative electricity source then I think storage heaters are probably the only cost effective option

Don't know where you are but if the dno is scottish and southern they have a good tech helpline which will tell you all the tariffs and types of heaters you can use on each tariff.
I have recently looked into fitting Rointe heaters into a large flat.You can put them on the economy 10 tariff this gives you reduced rates between roughly midnight to 5am,2-4pm and 7.30-9.30pm when all circuits are on cheaper rate.There are a number of similar manufacturers
such as kalirel and eco warmth.these heaters look more like radiators and are allegedly very efficient ,they can be programmed individually or as a group or by remote control.

Reply to alternative heating to night storage heating in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net