Discuss Aluminium wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm helping a friend of mine do up an old cottage that he has bought recently. Most rooms are in such a state that they need completely redoing. Our first project was to rip out one of the bathrooms, and in doing so we had to disconnect an old infrared wall heater, where we discovered aluminium t&e. It's definitely PVC not rubber. I had a quick look in the ceiling rose in that bathroom and it also appears to be wired in aluminium t&e. We didn't look at anything else today so I don't know what other circuits may or may not have aluminium t&e.

The property has clearly had quite extensive electrical work over the years(has had an extension and loft conversion) as well as some diy bodges, as I suppose is to be expected. The CU is also not original, it looks like it should be a 16th edition split load but someone has replaced the main switch with an RCD. So clearly the CU has been changed at some point.

I'm definitely going to suggest he gets an EICR done, but do you think the aluminium t&e presents an immediate problem and should be rewired, or is it still OK to be in service?

Also if we have to work with the aluminium t&e at all (changing lights, sockets etc) how should we treat it? It's all stranded of course, so should we use ferrules on the ends and connect to screw terminals directly or into wagos and 'pigtails' in copper to the accessory?

I haven't got any pictures at the moment unfortunately but I am back at his house tomorrow so I can get some (of the CU, and anything else?)

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies so far, I will go back again tomorrow to try to figure out if it is actually tinned copper, and will also post some pics. But from your posts it seems most likely it is not aluminium as it didn't just break when flexed about. If its tinned copper are there any special considerations when working with it and how old is it likely to be?

The appearance of the conductors is quite different - aluminium looks duller, softer and greyer than tinned copper and is mechanically very weak. It indents and crushes under the tip of a screwdriver in a way that copper doesn't. As above, small aluminium cables are likely to be solid.

Imperial cables prior to metrication around 1970 were usually tinned copper and stranded (although the common 3/.029 lighting cable has a solid 1/.044 CPC.)

If its tinned copper are there any special considerations when working with it and how old is it likely to be?

No special considerations, it's just copper cable with a protective finish of tin to make it more corrosion resistant. Historically tinning was needed to prevent sulphur in rubber insulation reacting with the copper, but with PVC insulation it was something of a luxury and dropped in the transition to metric to save cost. It is still preferred for some applications.

Your cable is therefore likely to be 1960s if it is PVC insulated.

I pulled out a short length of aluminium twin and earth, PVC, from a job last week. Solid conductors, around 2.5mm csa. Tried the bend and snap - it snapped!

I've come across very little aluminium t&e seen more alcumic and all aluminium mic and what a disaster that stuff was
EDIT just remembered had to terminate a large aluminium swa with double crimped lugs many years ago not something I'd want to repeat

Back in the depths of time my father used some aluminium cable when there was a copper shortage, and I have seen some but it was solid conductors not stranded.
BT (or it was probably Post Office Telephones back then) went through a phase of using aluminium when copper was in shortage. It created decades of problems for them as the slightest water ingress turns aluminium cable into a plastic tube full of white powder.
Back in the 90s/00s, where I worked we had a site on the Isle of Wight and fell victim to this. In total we had about 9 pairs into the building, and no end of faults. Eventually BT ripped out the old ally cable (a trunk cable somewhere between the exchange and our site) causing all the faults, so while the site was completely offline for a few hours, we had no faults after that.

Still, dad had a tale of using silver for busbars during the war. He said they kept meticulous records of where, and it was all replaced with copper when it was available.

BT (or it was probably Post Office Telephones back then) went through a phase of using aluminium when copper was in shortage. It created decades of problems for them as the slightest water ingress turns aluminium cable into a plastic tube full of white powder.
Back in the 90s/00s, where I worked we had a site on the Isle of Wight and fell victim to this. In total we had about 9 pairs into the building, and no end of faults. Eventually BT ripped out the old ally cable (a trunk cable somewhere between the exchange and our site) causing all the faults, so while the site was completely offline for a few hours, we had no faults after that.

Still, dad had a tale of using silver for busbars during the war. He said they kept meticulous records of where, and it was all replaced with copper when it was available.

Some estates round here have the same problem with ally BT cables. Built late 70s/early 80s roughly.

Update: so I went back and took a bit of the cable home with me. Here are some pictures:20210523_183420.jpg
As the pic shows the CPC is solid and both L&N are 3 strands.
20210523_183535.jpg
I scraped at the wire with a knife and copper was revealed underneath the silver surface, so as lots of people suggested it appears to be tinned copper PVC t&e.
Thanks all for your help

Reply to Aluminium wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net