Discuss Always-on rear view camera for van in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's just doing it the easy way, Gavin.
I'm trying to use the existing screen on my radio as the monitor, and ive got the video cable run between the camera position and the radio. Luckily it was exactly the right length.
Searching online for the radio type brings up nothing in the way of connection diagrams other than the ISO plugs for the power and speakers. There are other plugs for the USB port, remote volume control, etc.
The screen already changes to show the parking aid sensors when reversing. I'd like the camera to override this image, but keep the sensor beeping.

What tickled me was when looking at the back of the radio, theres a cable runs from the radio down to the lower part of the screen, and has a label with "SMEG" written on it...
So, googling this brings up "smeg head-unit"

Any Red Dwarf fans> "SMEEEE.... HEEEEEE!"

That's just doing it the easy way, Gavin.
I'm trying to use the existing screen on my radio as the monitor, and ive got the video cable run between the camera position and the radio. Luckily it was exactly the right length.
Searching online for the radio type brings up nothing in the way of connection diagrams other than the ISO plugs for the power and speakers. There are other plugs for the USB port, remote volume control, etc.
The screen already changes to show the parking aid sensors when reversing. I'd like the camera to override this image, but keep the sensor beeping.

What tickled me was when looking at the back of the radio, theres a cable runs from the radio down to the lower part of the screen, and has a label with "SMEG" written on it...
So, googling this brings up "smeg head-unit"

Any Red Dwarf fans> "SMEEEE.... HEEEEEE!"
Reversing Camera | Reversing Cameras | Kits |... - https://www.parkingcameras.com/store/home.php

have a word with these people telling them what bits you have, and they will supply the missing parts or point you in the right direction.

I've bought a cheap reversing camera from ebay that should override the image on the radio screen using a suitable video adaptor cable.
Currently looking for a suitable place to mount it on the back of the van.
Going to have a momentary push button for viewing while driving, also comes on when using reverse gear.
(using a relay, so my push button doesn't bring on the reverse lights :rolleyes:)
I should have bought a camera with an adjustable mounting bracket. The one I got is built into a wedge shaped piece of plastic and can only be mounted on a horizontal surface, upside down, to give the correct view.
Ideally I would have liked it on the vertical rear door of the van. The angle of view is correct, but the camera would then be upside down.
Looking for a solution to this. The camera is pretty well glued into the wedge so I cant turn it around.
Can you not change the orientation of the picture on screen with the settings or did the spammers from a while back write the instructions?

I've bought a cheap reversing camera from ebay that should override the image on the radio screen using a suitable video adaptor cable.
Currently looking for a suitable place to mount it on the back of the van.
Going to have a momentary push button for viewing while driving, also comes on when using reverse gear.
(using a relay, so my push button doesn't bring on the reverse lights :rolleyes:)
I should have bought a camera with an adjustable mounting bracket. The one I got is built into a wedge shaped piece of plastic and can only be mounted on a horizontal surface, upside down, to give the correct view.
Ideally I would have liked it on the vertical rear door of the van. The angle of view is correct, but the camera would then be upside down.
Looking for a solution to this. The camera is pretty well glued into the wedge so I cant turn it around.
See this post by chance. I hope your problem has been solved. I only have an instruction for reference. There are four ways for four different cameras. Maybe it can help you solve the problem. Hope it works.

Attachments

• instruction-.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 4
Thanks John, but I got the camera installed.
I purchased a camera that sits flat against the rear door. Drilled a hole so it’s just the lens showing, and it’s almost flush.
I had to use a separate screen as the radio fitted is digital and the camera output analogue. Cost for a converter was silly.
Powered from the 12v aux socket so on all the time the ignition is on.
(Spliced into the supply cables behind, not plugged in)

Working well until the van rolled into a stationery vehicle by itself. Not got round to fitting the camera into the new one yet.

Reply to Always-on rear view camera for van in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net