Discuss Am I allowed to fit a Nest thermostat myself? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

aoused

-
Reaction score
As per title really. I’m considering buying Nest thermostats, I am confident I can install it appropriately but I don’t know if legally I’m allowed to. No formal quals but experience in wiring (for audio, not power) radio/recording studios.

The current situation...

I have a new build property with dual zone central heating, one thermostat in the ground floor entrance hall, the other upstairs in the master bedroom. Both are battery powered Danfoss timer thermostats with a relay which closes when there is a call for heat. I believe this must be 230v switching.

DHW is on demand, no timers or tanks.

Each stat has a pair of wires linked to a Danfoss ‘wiring centre’. When either stat calls for heat, a valve operates to allow water to flow. Each valve has an auxiliary switch (both up and downstairs paralleled) which goes to the call for heat on the boiler causing it to fire. I haven’t looked at whether this will be a dry switch or 230v.

My Plan

I wish to mount a pair of heat links above the wiring centre (which is near floor level on a stud wall in the boiler cupboard), take the existing runs to the stats from the wiring centre and use them as power for the Nests, then have the heat links close the valves (and thus aux switch and fire up the boiler).

I’m confident I can prepare the cable correctly, mount the heat links and Nest properly etc. There appears to be slack on the stat cables. The only bit I don’t know is whether I’d use t+e or boiler flex to link the heat links to the wiring centre.

My actual question...

I’m sure this isn’t notifiable work however if I’ve understood the ‘rules’ correctly I should have a minor works certificate which of course I can’t sign off myself (because I don’t have the requisite training or test gear).

My understanding is that not having the right bit of paper might mean my house could be more difficult to sell (I might have to fork out for an eicr when otherwise I might not need one as the house is new). I would also carry the ‘risk’ of ‘what if’ in the future etc...

Have I interpreted this right? Have I understood the requirement for certification and the consequences of saying ‘---- it’ and doing it anyway?

I appreciate I can just get someone in to do this (about an hour of work I assume). I appreciate I can’t just get someone to ‘sign it off’. I’m guessing no one would be interested in coming to just ‘finish’ the job this small either.

However are you guys (the pros) generally receptive to working with customers who want to do some bits themselves (I have a few other projects I want to do such as upgrading electrics in the detached garage from a simple socket and pendant, and adding a burglar alarm) - so could almost be like a package of works where I do everything up to first fix then the spark comes into second and test? Or would most tell me to do one?

In all honesty the only reason I want to do this stuff myself is not to save money (but that’s a nice by product if it happens) but because I get a kick out of learning how to do things ‘properly’ and have satisfaction of having done something myself. I’m actually looking into taking some courses in the next few years...

imho, I think you should call in a spark in just in case you damage the boiler and you self has well

imho, I think you should call in a spark in just in case you damage the boiler and you self has well

With respect, that is something I know is the default answer. I’m not even 100% convinced on the whole ‘smart heating’ thing yet, especially as I would need two of them...

I’d hope I’d not damage the boiler whose electrical connections appear to (simply?) be power + call for heat switch. Of course I’d need to actually look at how the switch part functions so I don’t do something daft like energising a dry contact closure.

My question is really about the legality of this kind of thing. I’d hoped that by providing context I could get an answer better than ‘just call a sparky in’ or ‘it depends’ since this is where my research has led me thus far. If the answer is truly ‘you need an electrician to do all non-notifiable works’ then so be it.

There is nothing to stop you doing it yourself. Its worth reading the instruction manual though, when you get to the first page and it says something like:
"this product must be installed by a competeent electrician"
You then need to consider what your next step should be.
1. Find the scredriver and press on (what could go wrong)
or
2. Phone your local friendly elecrtrician.

There is nothing to stop you doing it yourself. Its worth reading the instruction manual though, when you get to the first page and it says something like:
"this product must be installed by a competeent electrician"
You then need to consider what your next step should be.
1. Find the scredriver and press on (what could go wrong)
or
2. Phone your local friendly elecrtrician.

I suppose the rules do say “electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment”! ‍♂️

So I /could/ do it myself (and almost certainly do it well) but I know that I /should/ get an electrician in if I was to comply the the requirements of the BS7671 and have a piece of paper that says so.

I’ve recently swapped some pendants with other lights. Should I have not done this myself?

what boiler do you have because some boilers switch through 24 volts and the nest can switch 240 or 24 volts so you will need to know how your existing wiring is configured

I have been called out twice by plumbers who have wired nest stats to boilers they are installing.
Both times they have blown the board in the boiler by feeding 230v into a 24v heat demand input.

I have been called out twice by plumbers who have wired nest stats to boilers they are installing.
Both times they have blown the board in the boiler by feeding 230v into a 24v heat demand input.
that's because 24/240 is a bit more complex than wet/not wet. requires brain cells in excess of 3.

that's because 24/240 is a bit more complex than wet/not wet. requires brain cells in excess of 3.

True, also the difference between 240 and 24 is ZERO!!!

I suppose the rules do say “electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment”! ‍♂

There is no such rule. Manufacturers instructions are guidance only and should be taken account of.

Reply to Am I allowed to fit a Nest thermostat myself? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net