Discuss Am I being over picky or is this just rough? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bellendian

-
Arms
Reaction score
Got a call from a mate today. All power out. Seems cutout fuse blown, they just had a new hot tub put in.
Opened meter box to find this. I think it's complete arse on many levels, but DNO chap came out and replaced fuse without any whinging. I was quite surprised, but I guess it's a Sunday!

Seem to remember allowed 3 meters to the over load device? Idea is for when coming from bus bars, but if the fuse/MCB is within 3 meters think it's allowed?

An SWA with no gland, single insulated and unprotected conductors going straight to the block, doesn't look like the SWA is earthed? I assume the grey tails are feeding the original CU in the house. What is in the capping to the right?
In my opinion the SWA should be discon from the block asap.

Spot on,
looks like armour is not bonded.
Because the single insulated conductors are in an enclosure requiring a tool or key to open I think they are ok being single insulated.

I would prefer to see an isolator between Henley block and outgoing swa.
And a gland on the end would be a good start!

Also, that is brand new install. Dust from drilling still on ground where it fell.
Would love to see the certificate for that installation.;)

Last edited:
DNO won't be bothered as after their equipment. The 3m referred to above is an ESQCR Reg re main tails. This is a 'sub-main' and IMHO should have suitable protection for the cable.

Also with the cut-out on its side the electricity is prone to leaking out :D

An SWA with no gland, single insulated and unprotected conductors going straight to the block, doesn't look like the SWA is earthed? I assume the grey tails are feeding the original CU in the house. What is in the capping to the right?
In my opinion the SWA should be discon from the block asap.

I think the amour is all GY taped up and connected to the head.
Still a s£!$ job though.

Connecting (earthing) the armouring is sooo over rated these days anyway...

just peel back the outer sheath for a few metres as it passes underground and it will double up as an earth rod????
these regs. are just for know it all's anyway, whats the problem it works doesn't it!!?

The whole job was done by a relatively large company. Not sure who did the wiring.
It's a good 15to20m run from meter to board supplying spa. No cert yet but it's only been in a few days.
3 core swa, grey core taped g/y, armour just taped up at supply end. Properly glanded at dis board end, so will be earthed, but I always prefer to earth at source end. Seems more robust in the event of a cable strike.
Should definitely be protected by a 63A switch fuse in my opinion.

Connecting (earthing) the armouring is sooo over rated these days anyway...

Aye ..... it just adds time and expense to the job. Only pedantic, smart-arsed, jobsworth, professional electricians with lots of time to waste would ever bother to earth the armour.:rolleyes:

The big question is, if you find some thing which you feel is not safe, what do you do?

The example given was the oil spill, if you see an oil spill which could be dangerous you must do some thing, it could be giving your boss a report in writing, even if on back of smoke packet. Or you could clean it up your self.

Verbal is not good enough, text message is OK, of course if questioned you say sorry did not see the oil, then your OK, but if you say yes I saw it, so I told my boss verbally your up the creak.

So first question is it a danger? if it just does not comply that's not a problem, but if it's dangerous it is, so if you consider it dangerous you must either correct it, or report it in writing.

Writing on a forum will not really count, it would need reporting to your boss, the client, or DNO in other words some one who could correct it. Ringing up the contractor who did the work and saying have you seen what your lads have done will not really cut it.

So big question is it simply bad workmanship? or is it dangerous? The easy answer is just bad workmanship, that way your not obliged to report it in writing. If however you say it's dangerous, then you have admitted by using forum you were aware, so if anyone is injured you could end up in court.

I do think from the pictures just poor workmanship, seems to have an earth and that earth may be connected to the SWA at the other end, where we hope there is an overload.

I knew a firm erecting cranes were rough, I was asked to look at a fault, I said certainly, however if I find it does not comply I can't ignore what I find, I will lock it off, and I was told never mind, we will get some one else. Both he and I knew likely I would condemn it and lock it off.

Domestic however is a bigger problem, your not permitted to make a home uninhabitable without finding alternative accommodation for occupants, nothing about who must pay, but you can't simply say that's dangerous, lock it off and walk away.

So lock off supply to shower, where there is also a bath, not a problem, but in this case only way to isolate is to draw DNO fuse, which we are not normally authorised to do, but British law says doing some thing illegal it permitted if by doing it you are preventing a greater crime, like blocking road to stop bank robber, so if dangerous you could draw the DNO fuse with of course the correct PPE.

But this is rather a drastic measure, and I don't think required here, but then one is saying it's not dangerous, can't have it both ways, either not dangerous and you can walk away, or is dangerous you must draw fuse after getting suitable PPE in real terms you would phone DNO and stay there on guard until they arrived.

So which is it?

Reply to Am I being over picky or is this just rough? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock