Discuss Am I being over picky or is this just rough? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The big question is, if you find some thing which you feel is not safe, what do you do?

Domestic however is a bigger problem, your not permitted to make a home uninhabitable without finding alternative accommodation for occupants, nothing about who must pay, but you can't simply say that's dangerous, lock it off and walk away.

What legislation is that? I would lock off and bugger off; I'd argue preventing injury or death trump's inconvenience of no power..

I agree with @DPG DNO are not responsible for stuff like this in the box.

SWA has no short circuit of overload protection. I doubt there’s coordination with main fuse, which is fuse of last resort in any event.

What legislation is that? I would lock off and bugger off; I'd argue preventing injury or death trump's inconvenience of no power..
The HSE are quite strong insisting all in writing, I have had it, radio call **** **** **** unit 5, all I got was unit 5 so off I went to unit 5, talked to supervisor and he said I have not called you, so returned with the thought if important they will call again.

Well it seems an extension lead had been damaged, some one did get a shock, so standard procedure sent to hospital, standard procedure HSE informed, they arrived, and looked through records, no report of damage, so then questioned work force, and one came forward with I saw the damage and I told the electrician, first question was how, answer on radio, next question did you complete a report sheet, answer no, result she was fined.

As to housing acts and not leaving a home uninhabitable not sure of the law, think it was designed to stop landlords using a fault as an excuse to evict, but does not matter if fireman, gasman, electrician or any other tradesman, if you make the house uninhabitable you have to find some alternative accommodation, be it phone council social services, or local hotel, or just be told by the occupants it's OK I can go to mothers. But what you can't do is turn off the water and say tough, or electric or gas if they are needed to make it inhabitable.

I am sure at some point we all have, problem with cooker supply, and owner says it's OK I can get a take away tonight, but we shouldn't, neither should we break the speed limit, but many do.

I have however been called to a home where the electrician has said sorry I must go, and run off without completing the job, his wife worked in a pub, and it was his duty to look after the baby was his excuse. Clearly there will be a point where we all have to say, sorry can't fix it tonight, but then we need to find the alternative accommodation.

But I know I have worked until well past midnight when it all went wrong, that's part of the job, can't simply say tough.

Reply to Am I being over picky or is this just rough? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock