Discuss Am I buying the right lights? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi.

1. I want to install a light for the tiny foyer of my apartment. I’m thinking of installing it on the wall. Does this one look good? Also, how does it install? Do I need to buy anything else? The first video is of my foyer.

Cloud Satin Copper effect Ceiling light | DIY at B&Q - https://www.diy.com/departments/cloud-satin-copper-effect-ceiling-light/5020024520822_BQ.prd

2. I want to get a similar one for the ceiling of my living room. It already has a light, but I want a second. I have attached a video.

Cloud Chrome effect Ceiling light | DIY at B&Q - https://www.diy.com/departments/cloud-chrome-effect-ceiling-light/5020024520808_BQ.prd

TL;DR
Ceiling light and wall light - do you like my choices?

Attachments

• IMG_1306.MOV
    41.2 MB
  • IMG_1307.MOV
    14.3 MB
Welcome to the forum again.

You really need to get an electrician in to see where the existing cables are.
You can then give them all the info and they can advice you.
It's hard to advice anyone how to install something when you don't have all the info any they are not proficient with electrics.

A professional installer was here today and he’s planning to run the cables under “chunking” - he’s looked at what’s here and says it can be done, but he’s not going to run the cables through the wall.

I’m more concerned about whether those lights are suitable choices.

Hi.

1. I want to install a light for the tiny foyer of my apartment. I’m thinking of installing it on the wall. Does this one look good? Also, how does it install? Do I need to buy anything else? The first video is of my foyer.

Cloud Satin Copper effect Ceiling light | DIY at B&Q - https://www.diy.com/departments/cloud-satin-copper-effect-ceiling-light/5020024520822_BQ.prd

2. I want to get a similar one for the ceiling of my living room. It already has a light, but I want a second. I have attached a video.

Cloud Chrome effect Ceiling light | DIY at B&Q - https://www.diy.com/departments/cloud-chrome-effect-ceiling-light/5020024520808_BQ.prd
Hi,

Those lights look fine for your situation, but then almost any light would be as there doesn't seem to be any need for water ingress protection in those locations.

The lights you've linked don't have a side entry point for trunking, but a good installer will be able to deal with that - it may well require some digging into t he wall at the join between fitting and trunking, which does require some experience to finish well.

The other thing to note with those is that they are all in one fittings - with the LED built in. So if it fails, you have to replace the whole fitting, rather than just a bulb (lamp). That is quite common these days, but it often means having to pay someone to do it if you are not confident to work with the wiring yourself.

The reviews are not great on the quality of the fitting, although sadly that is often the case these days with even quite expensive fittings.

They certainly look more than bright enough for the areas you show in the video.

If someone is fitting it then it may be worth asking if they have a choice they use and recommend.

It is also worth checking that the installer will be fixing the trunking properly to the wall and not just using the self adhesive type, as that won't last long when stuck directly to a wallpapered or finished wall.

Depending on the length/location, the trunking may well need to be fixed with correct fire rated clips to avoid premature collapse, to comply with wiring regulations, so you may want to check that that has been considered.

Reply to Am I buying the right lights? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net