Discuss am I certified to Sign off fuse board? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

baza890

Trainee
Reaction score
Am I certified to sign off/do certs for a fuse board if I've completed my Level 2 and level 3 city and guilds (2365) electrical installation?

(have not done the regs yet or testing & inspection or the NVQ)

In short, I’d say no.

Changing a CU is notifiable work to LABC. The only way you can notify is either through your scheme if you’re a member, or by going through your LABC directly and paying their extortionate fees. (There’s also 3rd party notification, but I’m not opening that can of worms today).

Now I’m assuming that you’re not a scheme member as you’re only part qualified.

So,

In order to go directly through LABC, you’ll need to prove competence to them, and the fact that you don’t hold the 18th, or an I&T qualification yet, makes me think that they won’t accept the certs as I don’t think only holding Lv2&3 will cut the mustard with them. Others may disagree.

After all, how can you prove that the work you’ve completed is to the current standard of BS7671 if you don’t hold the qualification?

Also, do you hold the required insurance to be carrying out work of this nature?

If it your own house then I would just do it

If it is for a paying customer then you will need a Scam to sign it off so probably more agro than its worth for you to bother doing the board

As JBW said.

The only requirement for "signing off" aka issuing an EIC or MEIC is that you are competent.

Are you, and can you demonstrate competency:
1, as the designer - has the installation been designed in all respects in complete compliance with the latest standards (18th+) , also 2, has it been installed in all respects in complete compliance with the latest standards? And finally 3, has it been fully inspected and tested in all respects in complete compliance with the latest standards?

I would suggest this is difficult to prove without knowledge/certification to the latest edition of the regulations, similarly without some testing certification it would also be difficult to demonstrate your competency.

Then, although a different side of things, part p demands proper notice to the local authority, this would normally be expected to be undertaken by you, so either membership of a scam, or direct acceptance from the authority, both of which would require proof of competency via certificates you don't yet have.

Am I certified to sign off/do certs for a fuse board if I've completed my Level 2 and level 3 city and guilds (2365) electrical installation?

(have not done the regs yet or testing & inspection or the NVQ)
Not being funny, but I wouldn't call it a fuse board, as it doesn't contain any fuses.

We are assuming this falls under Part P.
Irrespective of that, (which is why I separated my response into the two parts), you would still have to demonstrate you are competent in all respects, at least to yourself, and ultimately to a court in the event something happens down the line.

If it your own house then I would just do it

If it is for a paying customer then you will need a Scam to sign it off so probably more agro than its worth for you to bother doing the board

Would that count for a house you own but rent out ?

Not for a change of an item. But the change still needs certifying. MEIC for that.
So basically anyone could change out the mcbs for rcbos no qualifications or notifications needed, fill out a minor work's job done.

What about just changing the enclosure, from plastic to metal, leaving the rest as is ?

Last edited:
So basically anyone could change out the mcbs for rcbos no qualifications or notifications needed, fill out a minor work's job done.
Not anyone, I would say that anyone who makes any change inside a CU must be competent.
and you missed out a very important activity: TESTING! So, you'd need the appropriate set of calibrated
test equipment.
You know, minor things like, does the RCBO function properly, inside the trip times, stuff like that..
What about just changing the enclosure, from plastic to metal, leaving the rest as is ?
That is totally, and by definition, a change of the consumer unit. Full EIC and notification required.

Not anyone, I would say that anyone who makes any change inside a CU must be competent.
and you missed out a very important activity: TESTING! So, you'd need the appropriate set of calibrated
test equipment.
You know, minor things like, does the RCBO function properly, inside the trip times, stuff like that..

That is totally, and by definition, a change of the consumer unit. Full EIC and notification required.
Am not saying i agree with this just stirring up a debate :)

Would it be ok to surround a plastic consumer unit with a metal non-combustible enclosure, then change out the mcbs for rcbo ?

You are not going to make it less safe, and you're not adding any circuits, would this be notifiable ?

Reply to am I certified to Sign off fuse board? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net