Discuss Am i doing enough .... ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Ive been working with an electrician full time for the last 3 months. Before that i was in college for a year.

I feel like im not doing good enough. In 5 hours i only second fixed 4 sockets, 10 spots and 7 smokeys. Ive done more than that in a time frame before but its probably not far from my average. I feel im too slow but if i try to speed up it doesn't seem to work at this point as i feel like i rush and end up slower.

Another thing is I make mistakes as well. In one job I got the switch fire and the permanent the wrong way round in the pendant, A live in a spot was not pushed in fully and a possible earth leakage fault that went away after some reconnecting. There was say 50 spots and 40 sockets and 10 pendants in total.

Am i doing badly or is this to be expected ? I want to be better and faster and im a bit worried im just not getting it.

Are there some people who it just isnt for and dont get to a good enough standard or if i keep trying will i get it ?

Ive been working with an electrician full time for the last 3 months. Before that i was in college for a year.

I feel like im not doing good enough. In 5 hours i only second fixed 4 sockets, 10 spots and 7 smokeys. Ive done more than that in a time frame before but its probably not far from my average. I feel im too slow but if i try to speed up it doesn't seem to work at this point as i feel like i rush and end up slower.

Another thing is I make mistakes as well. In one job I got the switch fire and the permanent the wrong way round in the pendant, A live in a spot was not pushed in fully and a possible earth leakage fault that went away after some reconnecting. There was say 50 spots and 40 sockets and 10 pendants in total.

Am i doing badly or is this to be expected ? I want to be better and faster and im a bit worried im just not getting it.

Are there some people who it just isnt for and dont get to a good enough standard or if i keep trying will i get it ?
Not in any recognized training then by the looks of things? is the Bloke you are working for taking you for a Mug?

Seems ok,if you get on real well with your sparky,it don’t matter how long you take.
I’ve had a couple of useless lads,they were slow & I moaned like crazy at them,mainly cause I didn’t get on with them.
Got a great lad now,not the quickest,but ok,do what you can ,properly,& make sure you finish the jobs you are given ,completely,good luck.

What should his employer be doing

On topic- I find I'm quicker when I stop worrying about it. Stop counting how many points you're doing and let it flow. If you're putting 100% into your work then you'll know in your heart that you're doing your best.

Don't worry about your mistakes, it's how you learn. Don't make the same mistake twice and you'll be ok, if you do make the same mistake twice then make sure you're the one to find it and fix it before anyone notices. ;)

In 5 hours i only second fixed 4 sockets, 10 spots and 7 smokeys

that ain't bad at all. faster than i am now, but then i am a bit slow these days. don't be put off. speed comes with experience, that's oK for 20 years, then you slow down due to age/back/knees/beer.

wish it was. it's only beer that keeps me going. ( coupled with a good woman who feeds me well , and stops me from drinkintg too much ). so many of my contempories, some liked, some hated, are now like Beethoven (decomposing), so I must be doing something right.

What should his employer be doing

On topic- I find I'm quicker when I stop worrying about it. Stop counting how many points you're doing and let it flow. If you're putting 100% into your work then you'll know in your heart that you're doing your best.

Don't worry about your mistakes, it's how you learn. Don't make the same mistake twice and you'll be ok, if you do make the same mistake twice then make sure you're the one to find it and fix it before anyone notices. ;)
Stop taking the OP for a mug for one.

Reply to Am i doing enough .... ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock