Discuss Am i entering the industry with the right mindset? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

roshman

Trainee
Reaction score
Good day Lads & Ladies.

I fled to this forum not too long ago just in the hope for some advice and in the typical manner of internet research I received controversial results. So I took a bigger dive into research and I think I may be on the right path to make some steps into this industry but i am nothing without the experience of my peers.

In January I will start a course with Able Skills (I couldn't find a bad word about them any place) Its the full JIB course. Consisting of 2365(2) 2365(3) 2382, 2377 and then obviously the inspection&testing to complete your 2365 + the AM2 for the later date.

During my time at the course and possibly at the end of the first month I will attempt to make contact with Electricians who take pride in their work to offer free labour in the hopes to learn and gain valuable experience (i stress the good electrician bit obviously) and repeating this process until i complete the course.
On completion of the course I will in fact repeat the process mentioned above but also begin applying to agencies for a mates roll and again calling & emailing local electricians to provide my services for free or otherwise.
Hopefully once i have the references and the competence to secure the google job jobs i can continue to work as a mate/improver for the next 3 years (or however many it takes) and ideally complete my 2365 and qualify to then really start learning i guess lol.

This is a career change for me, i'm young at 23 but i've some responsibilities which cant see me on £156 a week. Ive spent the past 5 years in Audio Visual and IT. Been a rigger and currently a managing technician, done sound&light for major events and carried out repairs on a variety of kit, past just component replacement. Even restored a 1970's sound desk which is in my Studio so i'm familiar with wiring diagrams, schematics and Electronic laws which i imagine some may relate to Electrical laws. Working at heights, in tight spaces and in loud environments tugging around heavy load is what i was built for. lol.

I guess what i'm asking is: Am i entering the industry with the right mindset? I have a desire to learn and to keep on learning even once qualified and approved.

Thank you for reading and please if you wouldn't mind share some experience and constructive feedback.
[automerge]1576615339[/automerge]
EDIT: When referring to mate/improver rolls these would all be supervised and not me working autonomously without inspection.

Last edited:
Id say it's a good way forward; you've a goal, a journey mapped out, comromising to get what you need and know it's not a quick thing (looking beyond a 5 week course)

Background experience will help too as sparks don't just do electrical anymore, what with a/v, smart tech and elec cars, you'll be able to pull on prior knowledge.

I say enjoy the ride, knuckle down and expect rejection at every turn but don't let it phase you.

Drop into the trainees section too; Apply to Gain Access to Trainee-Only Forum - https://www.electriciansforums.net/forums/apply-to-gain-access-to-trainee-only-forum.60/

Id say it's a good way forward; you've a goal, a journey mapped out, comromising to get what you need and know it's not a quick thing (looking beyond a 5 week course)

Background experience will help too as sparks don't just do electrical anymore, what with a/v, smart tech and elec cars, you'll be able to pull on prior knowledge.

I say enjoy the ride, knuckle down and expect rejection at every turn but don't let it phase you.

Drop into the trainees section too; Apply to Gain Access to Trainee-Only Forum - https://www.electriciansforums.net/forums/apply-to-gain-access-to-trainee-only-forum.60/

Thank you for your response and your time for reading this mouthful! Of course, there is obviously a reason why it takes 3 years for anyone to work unsupervised and anyone who thinks a short course be it like mine at 4 months or less will instil that competence is just the unfortunate bunch that have to be cleaned up after.

Thats great, I could pick up some work doing AV installations to keep the bread even. I imagine with some site experience, tools and the general quals it shouldn't be too hard, but what do i know lol!

Thanks again mate! Used to the rejection at every turn lol, been making music for almost half my life, no choice but to persevere and learn from your mistakes!

Also, i will join the trainee section but i think i need to do a few posts before i get rights to it!

I think you have a good mindset and the fact that you enjoy learning and you don't mind hard work will be helpful . Good luck to you .

Thank you Al, appreciate your words! :)

Reply to Am i entering the industry with the right mindset? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net