Discuss Am I expensive? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section or not.

I priced for a job yesterday to fit a new double socket. There were no sockets nearby that I could come from etc and reckoned that the job would take 2 hours max plus a couple of lengths of YT2, double pattress and a double socket, test and cert for £70 at the most. The lady nearly died!!

Needless to say I haven't got the job and she told me there and then. I've lost a couple of jobs through price but just reckoned I was unlucky. I don't see myself as being cheap cheap but I do a good quality job with quality materials.

2hr @28.00 = £50.00

materials 2g skt
2g box
2 lth tunking
7m 2.5 if you can spur
fixture and fitting
fuel to get to job
print out a cert
all for £20.00 dnt worry about it eigther she will ring back or get a polish guy to bo it

BCM Spark

Don't fall into the trap of doing jobs for nothing, at 'cost' I mean.

I've recently lost out on a few jobs.
One was a rewire on a 3 bed 17th century Cottage. It wasn't going to be a simple one as you can imagine, crumbling lathe & plaster walls, massive floorboards which won't come up, flat roof Kitchen extension, new earth electrode etc. etc.
Only round the corner from me so went in at about £2700, didn't get the job they found someone at half the price??
We can't compete with the non-Registered, non-insured and probably non-qualified, glorified Handymen who are allowed to garrote our Trade.

Don't get me started!

In seriousness, I feel the Bodies ( NICEIC, NAPIT & ECA) don't seem to be doing anything about it.

BCM Spark

Don't fall into the trap of doing jobs for nothing, at 'cost' I mean.

I've recently lost out on a few jobs.
One was a rewire on a 3 bed 17th century Cottage. It wasn't going to be a simple one as you can imagine, crumbling lathe & plaster walls, massive floorboards which won't come up, flat roof Kitchen extension, new earth electrode etc. etc.
Only round the corner from me so went in at about £2700, didn't get the job they found someone at half the price??
We can't compete with the non-Registered, non-insured and probably non-qualified, glorified Handymen who are allowed to garrote our Trade.

Don't get me started!

In seriousness, I feel the Bodies ( NICEIC, NAPIT & ECA) don't seem to be doing anything about it.

Well said Archie ! i agree 100%

No your not that is the going rate
I charge £55 per socket and £35 for minor works
I think these people live in the dark ages and still think a pint cost 2 guineas
This person probably lives in a big house nice car and won’t spend a brass farthing

You are a trade’s man not a painter
sorry for ranting

Thanks for the comments guys. You are dead right about unqualified persons carrying out electrical work. I have lost a few rewires to these type of people who turn up at the weekend after work with a car full of nicked gear and cobble a rewire together in 2 days with no cert. I thought I was pricing about right but after loosing a few jobs over prices it got me worried i was going wrong somewhere.

Yeah, couldn't agree with the above posts. I Recently done a double socket and an outside light, really straight forward job, very short cable runs, YT2 etc. Charged the woman £100

Quoted a 3 bedroomed house with a flat roof kitchen etc for a rewire, pretty big rooms etc. The job was 35 miles from home. To be honest I never wanted the job and just threw in the figure of about £3K max.

Another spark turned up while I was there, he told me he quoted a similar job the other week for £1700! I congratulated him and told him the job was his! He then told me that his £1700 quote had been beat and he never got the job!!!!

I charge £25p/h and I usually add around 20% on top of cost for materials!

You ain't expensive brother!

Last edited by a moderator:
excluding family and friends ill charge £25 an hour or if its a job that i dont particually want ill go sky high. and if i do get the job ( and 1 in 10 i do ) its really worth my while to do it. i didnt train at college for four years to work for peanuts.

excluding family and friends ill charge £25 an hour or if its a job that i dont particually want ill go sky high. and if i do get the job ( and 1 in 10 i do ) its really worth my while to do it. i didnt train at college for four years to work for peanuts.

:cool:hear hear

Not sure about yt2 but round our way mt2 is slang for mini trunkling or marshall tufflex (a brand) mt2 being the one most used for rewires socket drops etc 2 being the size of it

Dont worry BCM its even worse in pat testing. The price has gone down so much in the last couple of years I cant believe anyone can do it properly anymore - specially the big companies offering to do it for almost nothing - its a scandal. dont think the registered bodies are interested in that either

Dont worry BCM its even worse in pat testing. The price has gone down so much in the last couple of years I cant believe anyone can do it properly anymore - specially the big companies offering to do it for almost nothing - its a scandal. dont think the registered bodies are interested in that either

The registered bodies are only there to lift dosh from your wallet ! nobody is intrested in some bloke down the pub doing the work for a few beers ! The rules are there but were the only ones that follow them ! when we compete with these prices even now with the ressesion most people just want a cheap job done by a cheap cowboy (the few pints bloke in the pub). :mad:

you do need to lift you rates pal, christ, how do you survive on that?? I get £15 per hour subbying working need a lot more to cover my overheads when doing my own work - niceic, insurance etc etc.

The sooner there's a registration scheme for proper trades people the better, then customers would realise their paying for a person who's taken the time and money to get where they are.

The sooner there's a registration scheme for proper trades people the better, then customers would realise their paying for a person who's taken the time and money to get where they are.

hi there

oh come on my friend even if there was a proper trade organization would people realize that !
simply not :mad:

all they want is to have the job done at the lowest cost they are not in the least bothered about your qualifications etc .:p

all they want is the job done cheap and you know someone will do it cheaper than you.

especially now with the way of the world. think corgi !

cheers :rolleyes:

Reply to Am I expensive? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock