Discuss Am I liable to pay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I rent a property in the UK. All of the sockets in my house were tripping, even when all sockets were switched off. An electrician came out, sent by the estate agent who manages the property. They determined it was an appliance of mine that tripped the power. He said something about why the socket was receiving power when the switch was off, but I'm not sure what it was he said as I am no electrician. Something to do with a neutral wire. I have received an invoice, from the estate agents, for me to pay the electrician as the fault was my appliance. I agree this would be my invoice to pay, however, I could have diagnosed the appliance as the fault myself had the landlords socket not been supplying power when switched off? Please could somebody advise me as to where I stand. Of course I am happy to pay if it is my responsibility. Thanks, Jean.

I rent a property in the UK. All of the sockets in my house were tripping, even when all sockets were switched off. An electrician came out, sent by the estate agent who manages the property. They determined it was an appliance of mine that tripped the power. He said something about why the socket was receiving power when the switch was off, but I'm not sure what it was he said as I am no electrician. Something to do with a neutral wire. I have received an invoice, from the estate agents, for me to pay the electrician as the fault was my appliance. I agree this would be my invoice to pay, however, I could have diagnosed the appliance as the fault myself had the landlords socket not been supplying power when switched off? Please could somebody advise me as to where I stand. Of course I am happy to pay if it is my responsibility. Thanks, Jean.
It could have been the faulty socket that damaged your appliance

It looks like the sockets in your rented property are single pole, so if the switch is off the neutral is still connected. The only way to be sure that the appliances in this instance are disconnected is to unplug everything.

What was it that was causing the problem?

It looks like the sockets in your rented property are single pole, so if the switch is off the neutral is still connected. The only way to be sure that the appliances in this instance are disconnected is to unplug everything.

What was it that was causing the problem?
The toaster. Is that a problem with the socket or an acceptable way for them to be?

Unfortunately,
most uk sockets only switch the live, the neutral remains connected to the appliance regardless of the switch position (on or off)
this might be a tough lesson to learn but if you are trying to diagnose if a fault is with the fixed wiring or an appliance then unplug evertyhing.
a short between neutral and earth will normally trip an rcd type breaker without any bang or flash.

so everything is now fine?
if you switch off the socket and plug the toaster in, I presume the electrics still trip off?

Sounds suspicious to me Jean, although unless the toaster is tested it's hard to be sure.

Has the tripping now stopped? If so, try the toaster again, if it still trips then it's the toaster so take it back. If it doesn't then it obviously wasn't the toaster.

Unfortunately,
most uk sockets only switch the live, the neutral remains connected to the appliance regardless of the switch position (on or off)
this might be a tough lesson to learn but if you are trying to diagnose if a fault is with the fixed wiring or an appliance then unplug evertyhing.
a short between neutral and earth will normally trip an rcd type breaker without any bang or flash.
Oops, I think I have an invoice to pay.

Sounds suspicious to me Jean, although unless the toaster is tested it's hard to be sure.

Has the tripping now stopped? If so, try the toaster again, if it still trips then it's the toaster so take it back. If it doesn't then it obviously wasn't the toaster.
It is definitely the toaster. I thought the fact that it was tripping meant there was still power in the socket when switched off (which I would say is at the fault of the landlord). Another poster has pointed out that UK sockets tend to only switch the live and if there is a fault between neutral and earth then the RCD will trip. Looks like i'm at fault for my own incompetence

if you turn off that socket and plug the toaster in, does the electric trip off?

If you have rcds at home try the toaster there or another socket in the property. A toaster would be one of the last appliances I would suspect.

Reply to Am I liable to pay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock