Discuss Am I qualified for fused spur in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve got a friend who’s a fully qualified electrician, and today we got into a discussion, I install intruder alarms, I have completed my level 2 electrical science and installation, and 6 months ago completed the more relevant course of “mains compliance” qualification, mainly so I could start fitting fused spurs and completing a minor works certificate.
However, today my friend told me that unless I have the now 18th edition qualification with that, I am not qualified to complete a minor works certificate for a fused spur (onto an existing circuit of course). Can someone PLEASE clarify this for me, I thought I was as qualified as I needed to be, and want to check, I don’t think I require the 18th edition, but am I wrong?

Thanks!!!

You need to demonstrate that you’re working in compliance with the latest regulations.

The easiest option is to sit the18th edition exam.

However this is not an absolute qualification to hold, if you can prove you’re that your work complies and you have an understanding of the regulations then crack on.

[insert alarm installer abusive sentence here]...

You need to demonstrate that you’re working in compliance with the latest regulations.
The easiest option is to sit the18th edition exam.
However this is not an absolute qualification to hold, if you can prove you’re that your work complies and you have an understanding of the regulations then crack on.

[insert alarm installer abusive sentence here]...
[sentenced to 4 years......apprenticeship...…...along with you S]....hehehe;)

You can spur from an existing circuit as long as you are competent to do so and test and produce a certificate to state you did so in compliance with the regulations.

You will need:
Test equipment and the training and competence to use it and understand the results.
Insurance that covers you for such work
Knowledge of all the latest regs that come into play with your alterations.......this is where an 18th edition regulations course may be handy.

Having said all that I thought decent alarm installers liked a dedicated supply for their systems ? Now putting in a new circuit would be notifiable to building control which would require further hoops through which to be jumped.

You can spur from an existing circuit as long as you are competent to do so and test and produce a certificate to state you did so in compliance with the regulations.

You will need:
Test equipment and the training and competence to use it and understand the results.
Insurance that covers you for such work
Knowledge of all the latest regs that come into play with your alterations.......this is where an 18th edition regulations course may be handy.

Having said all that I thought decent alarm installers liked a dedicated supply for their systems ? Now putting in a new circuit would be notifiable to building control which would require further hoops through which to be jumped.

Thanks Andy, so with my mains compliance qualification and using the correct testing equipment with insurance etc I am qualified to do it without the 18th addition? A dedicated circuit is not always necessary and not always possible. We are a NSI gold company held to the highest level of accreditation in the industry so hopefully that would qualify as decent :)

Seems a lot to cover in one day, and spookerly seems to cost the same amount as some of those 3 day courses, that tell you how to answer a load of questions, using a books contents & index.

Seems everyone is getting ripped off these days.

Reply to Am I qualified for fused spur in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net