Discuss am i qualified to install fire alarm? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am fully qualified and registered with napit, i am going to have some training on how to install fire alarm, but someone told me that only designated person can install fire alarm, other wise building control wont sign certificate for me, is it true or not? i know there are quite few certificates to be signed off, am i qualified to sign all of them or only some of them?

thanks in advance

I don't know of any regs that stop you installing but there may be some or insurance requirements that would prevent the design and commissioning element of the job

If you have no experience I would not recommend installing an addressable system until you have installed some conventional systems unless you can work with someone with experienced with addressables

Some good fire alarm info here Basic Guide to Fire Alarm Installation

If you want to check out how an addressable system is programmed it is worth downloading the XFP programming software from here C-TEC : Fire Alarms, Voice Alarms, Call Systems, Induction Loop Systems

Hi

any one can install fire alarm system

but at end of installation fire alarm system needs 2 certificates

commissioning certificate=which can be issued by rapproved Fire alarm company

Testing Certificate =which has to be issued by the maintenace company who is gona look after the system

Both certificates required by building control .

Hi

any one can install fire alarm system

but at end of installation fire alarm system needs 2 certificates

commissioning certificate=which can be issued by rapproved Fire alarm company

Testing Certificate =which has to be issued by the maintenace company who is gona look after the system

Both certificates required by building control .

How to be approved fire alarm company? can i get approved through the training course by NICEIC?

Hi
Been inthe fire alarm industry for last 10 years and I would agree with the advice to install first and get some one to commission the system. You will need however to supply a Installation Cert. Read BS5839 for install guide.

Hi again,
Sorry should have added try and obtain some formal training anyway its a mine field out there now. Not trying to be negitive just cautious.

Tks for the info have just been asked if I could fit a system for a friend! I have an easy answer - no!

Tks
Sparkles - the female Spark

I am qualified electrican with ELEcsa, domestic and commercial installer, what qualification do i need to design install and commision the fire alarm in commercial properties

There is no general qualification, but you do need to be competent.
The FIA do the best courses, but it is well over £1000 to do them all.
You'd really need a copy of BS5839 too if you are doing it regularly. That'll be another £150.
Then you need to check if your Insurance covers it, and you'll probably need to get Indemnity Insurance if you havent already got it.

IMHO, stay clear unless you are going to be doing plenty of installs and all the investment (as from above posts) will be recouped!

First thing before all the above.....You need correct insurance.....knowledge in Design, install and commissioning a fire alarm systems.
Ability to cad drawings for approval....ability to create final O & M, complete with as fitted......issue certification in Design, Install, Commission and Handover. When this can be achieved, start installing....before this can I suggest course in install and commissioning first, then after a few years move on to a design course. FIA will been you best starting point, on course training, and are the approved route to BAFE.

I have experience of installing in commercial property, went the cheeky route, get your friend to bring in CHUBB for a quote and produce a plan with costings, take approved plan to supplier for parts, install the alarm and then get a local firm to commission the install, save a wad of cash, know the system is approved and covered your a..e

I have experience of installing in commercial property, went the cheeky route, get your friend to bring in CHUBB for a quote and produce a plan with costings, take approved plan to supplier for parts, install the alarm and then get a local firm to commission the install, save a wad of cash, know the system is approved and covered your a..e
And the poor customer gets a closed system, with high cost maintenance each year, not really practical.....be better off linking up with a company you can partner with

And the poor customer gets a closed system, with high cost maintenance each year, not really practical.....be better off linking up with a company you can partner with

Tazz I think he is just using chubb's drawings and spec to install a system and get it commissioned by others

chubbs drawings,spec and quote, supplier for approved parts, commissioned by a small local firm, who did set up an annual contract with me. Just saved on the chubbs horrendous labour costs.

Can see what your saying, but find it very hard to see Chubb would offer design drawings to a client, without clinching the job first.
At best you would get a list of materials with the quote....I certainly wouldn`t hand over cad drawings, and do all the design work for some one else to nick...

Reply to am i qualified to install fire alarm? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock