Discuss Am I too old at 29 to start an apprenticeship in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So I am living in London at the moment, from Ireland originally, and have worked as a chef for the past 8 years, but always wanted to work as an electrician..I left school and started training but the recession hit Ireland bad around that time and everyone lost work..I moved to Oz and started working in kitchens and ended up stuck with it..Im really keen to get back working on the sites but thinking im a bit too old to be starting again..Im wondering has anyone got any advice on if I would even get an apprenticeship with someone..I have experience on sites and im handy on the tools..Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated

rather than looking for apprenticeships initially, why not look at work as a sparks mate then go to college in evenings or weekend?
Also some companies such as DNO's, power stations, the london underground (although very hard to get into and very unionised) etc offer apprenticeships in electrical trades and are normally quite willing to take older people,
Failing that apply for a job as a smart meter fitter, it pays good and is not too difficult!

rather than looking for apprenticeships initially, why not look at work as a sparks mate then go to college in evenings or weekend?
Also some companies such as DNO's, power stations, the london underground (although very hard to get into and very unionised) etc offer apprenticeships in electrical trades and are normally quite willing to take older people,
Failing that apply for a job as a smart meter fitter, it pays good and is not too difficult!

I have been reading about professional electrical courses that I can do partly online and then do practical work in one of their centres but Im wondering what level I would be at if I completed it..I obviously wouldnt be a qualified electrician so Im wondering what sort of money I could earn after completing one of them

Sparks mate full time with college is the best way - you’ve got to get the job first but it’s all about selling yourself (enrol first so you can say you’re at college). Pay may not be great but the experience will be gold and will give you the confidence for going it alone in the future.

I was on site with an apprentice who was 32 last year.

I agree with the post above, night college and work as a electricians mate. Eventually working as an Electrical Improver you would be expected to work on your own and grasped the fundamentals of containment and wiring.

*it's thinking like an Electrician is the hardest skill.

Clue # You'll know your starting to think like an Electrician when your walking around Tesco looking up at the containment and thinking "what a cowboy look how they did that".

Thinking like an Electrician and being one are not one and the same.!!!

Watching Electricians at work how they do jobs how they pull in cables tie in corners file tray or bend conduit is a skill in itself.

Good luck

Last edited:
Your best bet is the go to college and start the 2365 level 2 and then do 2365 level 3, in the mean time phone around all your local electrical firms and ask for mates jobs. Last option sign up with agencies. While you're doing all this take pictures of yourself doing jobs at work and start gathering pictures so when you do finally do the Nvq level 3 you'll have a head start.

It's a long road but worth it, you're never too old.

After having a look online, it seems that I wouldnt be able to get an electricians mate job as I just dont have the experience yet..Also had a look at the 2365 level 2 course and was being asked for over £7000 to do it..That seems a ridiculous amount..I know in the long run its not but at the moment it is..The only jobs I can see are apprentice jobs and I wouldnt be able to support myself off those wages.

After having a look online, it seems that I wouldnt be able to get an electricians mate job as I just dont have the experience yet..Also had a look at the 2365 level 2 course and was being asked for over £7000 to do it..That seems a ridiculous amount..I know in the long run its not but at the moment it is..The only jobs I can see are apprentice jobs and I wouldnt be able to support myself off those wages.

Do you have any qualifications at the moment I know you said you worked as a chef.....?

A friend of mine went to the local college and had a good chat with them and they bent over backwards to help him he did his level 2 Electrical Installation, 17th edition, etc etc

Come to over £6000 he paid less than £300 because he was on the dole they even waived the 6 month time on the dole needed before you could apply.

Maths and English test to apply if your gcse's are cr#p.

He did one day a week at college and then few years later did the nvq3.

Colleges have all kinds of funding available to them to help people achieve qualifications if they don't hold any or are on limited funds.

I think it was labour that bought it in government funding for qualifications up to level 2.

Cheers

Last edited:
I have been reading online about possibly getting help with funding..I work fulltime at the minute so it seems a lot harder..I came across this website that does this course Total Electrical 30 - Technique Learning Solutions - https://learntechnique.com/course/total-electrical-30/ ..Im just wondering would this be a good course to do??Its half the price of the other ones I have seen and it looks like it would be a good foundation to work off..Im just thinking would I be able to complete this course whilst continuing to work as a chef and then getting a job with an electrician.

You would need to take 4 weeks off of chefing and that would be difficult I could imagine. You would be full on with this course and as the bumf says it’s for people who are re-training or up-skilling meaning sparks that have worked for years but have no quals,or very few, that would bring them up to date and it’s also for Kev the kitchen fitter who would like to do the whole job and have all the money.
Look for something that you could do one or 2 nights a week whilst chefing and in the other ‘spare time’ read books watch videos take tests until you get to a point where you can apply for a job with a company big or small to enable you to achieve the portfolio part of the NVQ 3 . Save your money, use it wisely and take your time.

If you can get help with funding good :thumbsup:

If I were in London and in your position I'd get on the London underground/crossrail it's a massive job the rates are pretty good and most of all you'll learn something off the guys your working with.

Ideally not with an agency but sometimes you need to start somewhere.

*Enrol on level electrical installation. (Evenings ideally).

*Put a tool kit together nothing complicated snips, hacksaw, flat file, and rat tail file, Stanley 8m tape (screwfix 9.99 you get two). Get rest on Amazon.

*Don't buy any books you'll get given them at college.

*If your at college enrolled they will probably give a brother a chance shows your proactive.

Look =

Am I too old at 29 to start an apprenticeship Screenshot_20180327-103041 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:

Reply to Am I too old at 29 to start an apprenticeship in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock