Discuss AM2 Advice? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

kiwiNCFC

Hello!

I have my AM2 in 2 weeks and I am bricking it! I just wanted to ask for some advice for exam from guys that have already done it :)

I have a few q's :

1) I have read somewhere about motor overload settings. I have never worked with motors (or 3 phase for that matter) but what does this mean? Do I have to set a motor at a certain setting or something?

2)Any tips on the fault finding?

3)In the exam you get a time limit for each section. If you finish a section early, do you have longer on the following section or are they strict time slots?

Thanks in advance!

:)

If you search am2 on this forum there is loads of useful ststuff you get cards when fault finding just read them thoroughly as the key is in the qquestion tip when doing insulation resistance testing make sure you slide the plastic shutter over the mcb otherwise they will fail you because the the mcb won't supply the circuits without the clip

If you search am2 on this forum there is loads of useful ststuff you get cards when fault finding just read them thoroughly as the key is in the qquestion tip when doing insulation resistance testing make sure you slide the plastic shutter over the mcb otherwise they will fail you because the the mcb won't supply the circuits without the clip
Thanks dim_bulb ! I have had a search and got some good information. What is this about the mcb clip? I have never heard of it. I was also reading GN3 the other day and it said that when you are insulation testing you should make sure all MCB's are switched on (Supply dead obviously) Why does this matter? I just normally test at the board onto the terminal at the top of the breaker where the Live conductor is terminated.

Are you block testing or testing individual circuits ? It's been a few years since I did mine and I've heard it's changed a lot I had to install all the containment on mine but that is already their for you now, I have an apprentice with me at the min who failed it last month because his armoured gland wasn't tight, remember to put your bend in the armoured before you go cutting the armourings as if you don't it will pull the armouring at the back short when you bend it and you will never get the gland on if you don't normally do work like this, I'm sure you will be fine the key is not to panic, he was a nervous wreck before hand and I don't think that did him any favours. Good luck

Nothing to worry about, I did mine last July and its all pretty basic stuff now.

You've just got to remember the silly stuff like cable tie your cat5 on the data outlet otherwise its a fail.

you would need your breakers on if you were doing a block IR test.

Heating is easy - they provide you with wiring diagram so it's just wiring point to point. Remember the 3A fuse.

Do you know the correct way to make-off the SY flex?

Loads of info on the forum already if you use the search!

The AM2 seems to have changed a lot in only a few years. I took mine about 10 years ago but speaking to some of our apprentices recently it seems some things like MICC isn't done anymore. The best advice I was given was to tackle the things that I was most comfortable with first, this seemed to allow me more time on the taxing/time consuming things.

Where you doing it? All the system is in place ie the containment etc, all you need to do is follow the 'clients' requests, which is a folder of what to do. Just got to wire up as requested.

There's a motor circuit,
Cat5e length patched at each end into a port
Lighting circuit
Heating
Solar
On the ring be aware of the wiring to the outside socket, I can't remember whether it is a spur or not but it will say in the request folder but you need to get it right. Also beware there is a fused connection unit which doesn't actually have anything on the load side, people get in a muddle and wire the unit as one leg of the ring into the supply and one leg into the load which obviously isn't right!

When testing make sure they see you do it by the book, you can have gn3 and bs7671 in the room so refer to it if necessary they do allow it and I was told they would rather you use your common sense than guess and p**s it up.

Fault finding is the biggest downfall, you need to think logically about it and they will point to the right circuit rather than testing the whole system again to find the faults, unlike the 2394/5!!!

Just keep your install neat and REMEMBER the functional tests, especially the RCD!! My mate failed on not pressing the rcd button.

Hope it helps

Good luck!

get your safe isolation right too, I know someone who failed on that. when I did mine in 2004, Stanley knives were not allowed. all fault finding had to be done with a very basic continuity tester.

Do the pre AM2 thats my biggest tip, did mine in Blackpool and they were very good and helpful both in pre AM2 and the real thing.

I believe pyro and steel conduit have now been replaced by a heating system and plastic conduit.

Thanks everyone! Massive help! Some useful tips in there!

I'm from Norwich, but I have got the AM2 in peterborough as the norwich centre is closed at the moment :(

Reply to AM2 Advice? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock