Discuss AM2 assessment and NVQ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Greetings :)
Had my AM2 assessment last week.
Passed, 98%!
Relieved to have it in the bag!
Managed the install with 45 mins to spare!
Other practical assessments went well.
Although the paperwork for inspection and testing took ages!
NVQ is next.
I’m unsure as to what to expect with the NVQ, can anyone shed any light on the subject?
thanks,
Gary

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. Apologies if any feather-ruffling occurred :)

It would perhaps be better in the trainee only area, but you're not a trainee... maybe you should apply for access? :) Then I'll move the thread into the trainee only area.
[automerge]1575808975[/automerge]
Should have added... Congrats :)

Congrats on passing the AM2,

NVQ will consist of creating a site diary and having site visits from an assessor, or at least That’s what it was like when I did mine, although I had to do my AM2 at the end of my NVQ as the AM2 was the final part

good luck

Congrats. NVQ is more evidence building as I understand, so each time your doing any type of work you havnt previously done take a few pics and make sure you are visible in them. Then write a few lines about it. It's easy if you start gathering it up before hand. You have the more difficult part done now, good luck.

Greetings :)
Had my AM2 assessment last week.
Passed, 98%!
Relieved to have it in the bag!
Managed the install with 45 mins to spare!
Other practical assessments went well.
Although the paperwork for inspection and testing took ages!
NVQ is next.
I’m unsure as to what to expect with the NVQ, can anyone shed any light on the subject?
thanks,
Gary

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. Apologies if any feather-ruffling occurred :)
Hi mate I’m wanting to book my AM2 any guidance you could give me for it

NVQ pack arrived last week,
Much happiness was felt until I read that there’s yet ANOTHER online exam and a few days I have to spend away from home!!
FFS why can’t they just explain in detail everything that’s required and what to expect at the beginning of the course!?
Am getting rather fed up with the chair-warming mouth breathers continually moving the goalposts!!
Ok, rant over ?

AM2 advice...
Don’t panic!
On the first day you get to practice on anything you’re not sure of.

I’d had a bit of hands-on prior to the composite install which helped a bit.
Go fast from the start.
You have 8 1/2 hours for the install, but that time goes quickly.
You can stop the clock at any time and as often as you like (at ERR I was allowed to).
You can get a coffee and collect your thoughts and plan your next step.

The order I did my circuit install:
Bonding
Light
Ring
CO detector
CAT 5
16A socket with SWA
DOL starter
Heating system

When installing the heating system, don’t worry about keeping it tidy, just get the wiring in quickly.
I had 2 hours left for the heating system. It was much easier than I expected, and several of the components are pre-wired, so you just have to connect the ends of the cable to the corresponding points in the connector blocks.
The connections can be a bit fiddly and some are a bit worn so it took a few goes to get the cable in securely.

The dead and live testing on the installation was straightforward.
C R I P P L E R
Follow that sequence and you won’t go wrong :)
Make sure you’re familiar with isolation procedure. I almost forgot to put the key in my pocket!
Dont dawdle through this as you only have 3 1/2 hours. Paperwork took me ages!

Fault finding was a doddle.
2 1/2 hours to find the 7 faults. Once you’ve found each fault, the clock stops and you just have to tell the tutor what the fault is and how to fix it, if correct then you just have to write it down on the form

Online exam was alright. Open book. C&G say “clean book exam”, but we were allowed to use our own.

Good luck!
:)

Reply to AM2 assessment and NVQ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock