Discuss AM2 help. I have a few questions regarding the exam and any help would be appreciated. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum and everyone seems to be quite frendly and happy to help out. So.. i have my am2 in a few weeks and am pretty gemmed up on everything but there are a few things bothering me. And have checked all forums regarding am2 prep and can't seem to find anything.

1.When installing the FP200 cable supplying the carbon monoxide sensor, is this glanded and terminated as this video demonstrates? Ive never worked with this before.

2. After completion of inspection and testing, do you need to compare the results to all the maximum measured values from bs7671 for each test and illustrate what table you got it from etc.

3. Main bonding. Do you have to run 2x 10mm2 earth cables to both gas and water pipes or can you just use one bridge from one pipe to the other using earth clamps.

Thanks in advance ☺

1. That videois terminating MICC, not FP200. the latter is usually secured with flex glands. so ignore the video.

2. you should ensure that readings such as R1+R2 are below the BS max, allowed, also allowing for Cmin, and the 0.8 temp. factor.

3. you can use 1 cable, unbroken, but to be safe ( as regards exam) I'd run separates.

Hello all, new to the forum and everyone seems to be quite frendly and happy to help out. So.. i have my am2 in a few weeks and am pretty gemmed up on everything but there are a few things bothering me. And have checked all forums regarding am2 prep and can't seem to find anything.

1.When installing the FP200 cable supplying the carbon monoxide sensor, is this glanded and terminated as this video demonstrates? Ive never worked with this before.

2. After completion of inspection and testing, do you need to compare the results to all the maximum measured values from bs7671 for each test and illustrate what table you got it from etc.

3. Main bonding. Do you have to run 2x 10mm2 earth cables to both gas and water pipes or can you just use one bridge from one pipe to the other using earth clamps.

Thanks in advance ☺
I'm afraid that Guy terminating the MICC in the video, probably has never terminated a MICC in anger. How often will you have a work bench to help you, probably never, most terminations are done at a Distribution Board or an accessory back box, and as for putting the shroud and Gland body on the cable after the cable has been stripped, well the mind does indeed boggle, just think of all the crap you will be introducing by doing it with his method. One thing instilled on me when I was an Apprentice was try and avoid getting into contact with the conductors via oily fingers, and there is thi Bloke rubbing the conductors, and why use pliers when the manufacturers supply a purpose made Pot wrench for screwing the pot on, when it's tight enough is wrong the inner part of the threaded pot should be installed so that the outer sheath of the MICC is level with the cable sheath, it's no wonder some sparks have difficulties with MICC if this is the sort of training they get.

1. That videois terminating MICC, not FP200. the latter is usually secured with flex glands. so ignore the video.

2. you should ensure that readings such as R1+R2 are below the BS max, allowed, also allowing for Cmin, and the 0.8 temp. factor.

3. you can use 1 cable, unbroken, but to be safe ( as regards exam) I'd run separates.

Very helpful, thanks. I've got a the pre training booked a few days before the exam so hopefully goes alright

I'm afraid that Guy terminating the MICC in the video, probably has never terminated a MICC in anger. How often will you have a work bench to help you, probably never, most terminations are done at a Distribution Board or an accessory back box, and as for putting the shroud and Gland body on the cable after the cable has been stripped, well the mind does indeed boggle, just think of all the crap you will be introducing by doing it with his method. One thing instilled on me when I was an Apprentice was try and avoid getting into contact with the conductors via oily fingers, and there is thi Bloke rubbing the conductors, and why use pliers when the manufacturers supply a purpose made Pot wrench for screwing the pot on, when it's tight enough is wrong the inner part of the threaded pot should be installed so that the outer sheath of the MICC is level with the cable sheath, it's no wonder some sparks have difficulties with MICC if this is the sort of training they get.

Thanks for the reply, yeah i see what you mean. Sadly There's not alot of videos on glanding fp200 about so this was the only one.

FP200 on the AM2 passes through a standard nylon stuffing gland, just make sure you tighten it up.

This bloke does it as per the AM2:

FP200 on the AM2 passes through a standard nylon stuffing gland, just make sure you tighten it up.

This bloke does it as per the AM2:

Does the AM2 tell you how to keep awake during the lecture? cus he sends me into a coma.
Still hang the lesson out more cash to the trainer, what a con.

Last edited:
The am2 back when I did it wasn’t very much hassle at all mate. About the most difficult thing we had to do was make off an armoured, which obviously is not very difficult at all. You get more than adequate an amount of time to finish it so just take your time and don’t do anything stupid. Providing you know the basics of testing you should fly through that as well. The fella who was working next to me was even being told which test was coming up next so didn’t need to remember specific orders, just how to do each specific test. Honestly mate I wouldn’t worry about it too much, just take your time, don’t do anything that could be considered dangerous and you’ll be fine.

Nice one, Exacly what i wanted to know. Cheers
but i never use a knife for ringing sheath off round cable. use a ringingtool.made exactly for the job. adjustable detph of cut, fast and neat.
shopping

Does the AM2 tell you how to keep awake during the lecture? cus he sends me into a coma.[/QUOTE
The am2 back when I did it wasn’t very much hassle at all mate. About the most difficult thing we had to do was make off an armoured, which obviously is not very difficult at all. You get more than adequate an amount of time to finish it so just take your time and don’t do anything stupid. Providing you know the basics of testing you should fly through that as well. The fella who was working next to me was even being told which test was coming up next so didn’t need to remember specific orders, just how to do each specific test. Honestly mate I wouldn’t worry about it too much, just take your time, don’t do anything that could be considered dangerous and you’ll be fine.

Thanks mate, yeah ano just abit nervous like. I Think I'll do alright on the testing as i actually enjoy it ( I'm sad i know ).

but i never use a knife for ringing sheath off round cable. use a ringingtool.made exactly for the job. adjustable detph of cut, fast and neat.
shopping

Yeah i agree, i got one in my second year. When i first started my apprenticeship I'd keep cutting too far into the instulation and nick the cores. And the electrician i was with was a C*nt aswell so i made sure not to do it again

Reply to AM2 help. I have a few questions regarding the exam and any help would be appreciated. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net