Discuss AM2 help in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MrSingh

Hello there,

I am an apprentice who is currently put down to take my am2 in September this year. However I have a problem where the company I work for strictly only works on domestic properties so I have not gained any experience apart from house bashing so therefore I'm going to struggle with my practical am2.

I just wanted some advice on what to do, how to prepare and any ideas that will help me get through it.

Not sure i agree with this, what in the AM2 do you not do in domestic?

This is off the top of my head, so correct me if im wrong...

But don't you have to install...all in a booth....a light in FP200, a ringmain with spur, a 2way and intemediate lighting circuit, a s-plan heating system and a D.O.L motor starter?

Followed by Inspection and Test + Fault Finding on the same equipment once the instructors have put faults on them?

Fare enough, you'll maybe struggle with the motor but all the rest your company should be able to help you with, if they can't ... they need to take a hard look at themselves. Hear it all the time of employers neglecting the apprentices.

Regards to the motor, either ask on here or your college lecturer for help. You can maybe stay behind after college, and/or recieve 1on1 tutition with him? I know most college tutor's are pretty helpful, so ask one of them for abit of extra-guidance.

The AM2 isn't half as scary as people make out, so don't worry about it. Plenty of time till september to make sure your fully prepared.

Best of luck.

Mark.

Aye the NVC 3 has dropped in standard today, almost a multi choice exam now, a damn shame how the standards are dropping.

I believe an NVQ3 is a very thorough way of proving competence. It is evidence based and certainly not multiple choice.

I agree, but the point Mike was making is that the NVQ3 is alot more waterd down and not as in depth as it used to be.

The NVQ3 is a the best from todays standards though - like you say, it's evidence based. = Nowhere to hide, nor nowhere to guess.

Reply to AM2 help in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net