Discuss Am2 Monday Coming NEED some guidance on motor circuit testing etc... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RyanF

-
Reaction score
Hello all Sparkies,

Ive got a question how would you measure Zs on the installation at the origin? Even though the install is “dead”.

How do you test the motor circuit as in IR and Zs etc? Would you test the 3 phase IR from the supply to the contactor then do the same from the load side to the motor? Same with Zs test each phase to Earth and take the highest reading from both load and supply side and add them together by doing Zs=Ze + (R1+ R2)? So test from Db to Dol. Then Dol to Motor?

Another question is how would you test Zs, Polatiry and IR of the SWA commonda socket circuit with th isolator?

Thanks everyone.

Hello all Sparkies,

Ive got a question how would you measure Zs on the installation at the origin? Even though the install is “dead”. Which install are you talking about? has the DB been isolated?

How do you test the motor circuit as in IR and Zs etc? Would you test the 3 phase IR from the supply to the contactor then do the same from the load side to the motor? Same with Zs test each phase to Earth and take the highest reading from both load and supply side and add them together by doing Zs=Ze + (R1+ R2)? So test from Db to Dol. Then Dol to Motor? Bridge the contactor, the Zs would be the highest reading taken, check out JW's videos on youtube for Zs testing.

Another question is how would you test Zs, Polatiry and IR of the SWA commonda socket circuit with th isolator? Can't understand this question, it's not worded very well

Thanks everyone.

The install on the AM2 is safely Isolated. We are told
we cant measure the ZS under live testing we have to carry out it isolated and use the calculation Zs=Ze+ (R1+R2) etc...

How would you bridge the contactor though? A bit of scrap cable?

On the AM2 exam there is a 4 core SWA from the 3 phase DB to a 3 phase and neutral isolator which goes doen to a 3 phase and neutral commando socket. I want to know how would you carry out a Ir test on the circuit and how would you test Zs for the circuit with the isolator in use and also how would you confirm polarty for this circuit etc

Thanks for replying

Hi.i think you mean "polarity" and "commando".
The spelling and nomenclature,is an important part of what you are learning.

Remember,one letter,can be the difference between "fine" and "line",with one being great,and the other being grave...;)

You would normally operate the contactor,manually,for such testing,what testing guide books have you been instructed to use?

we cant measure the ZS under live testing we have to carry out it isolated and use the calculation Zs=Ze+ (R1+R2) etc...

How would you bridge the contactor though? A bit of scrap cable?Yep

On the AM2 exam there is a 4 core SWA from the 3 phase DB to a 3 phase and neutral isolator which goes doen to a 3 phase and neutral commando socket. I want to know how would you carry out a Ir test on the circuit and how would you test Zs for the circuit with the isolator in use and also how would you confirm polarty for this circuit etc

Thanks for replying

How would you bridge the contactor though? A bit of scrap cable?

Thanks for replying

Hi.i think you mean "polarity" and "commando".
The spelling and nomenclature,is an important part of what you are learning.

Remember,one letter,can be the difference between "fine" and "line",with one being great,and the other being grave...;)

I am typing on my mobile in a hurry. So I am going to make slight spelling mistakes.

You would normally operate the contactor,manually,for such testing,what testing guide books have you been instructed to use?
Yes you could do it that way, I would have thought the OP would or should have been taught how to do these tests, wouldn't you?

I am typing on my mobile in a hurry. So I am going to make slight spelling mistakes.
Ok,that's no proplem,but we are discussing a topic,which you cannot hurry - either in practice,or whilst learning.

It was the information,regarding your course teaching literature,i was asking after:)

Right,although the two mediums mentioned,can be beneficial,Youtube has little opportunity to reference the validity,of certain information,and we are only half a step better:)

There are a host of quality books,set out,with exams such as you have mentioned,in mind. They are legitimate examples of the methods and practices used,and you can refer to them,whenever required.

A quick search on this forum,should bring up discussions on this matter,but Christopher Kitcher authors one called "Practical guide to inspection,testing and certification of electrical installations"

There are many others,and even if they do not contain a specific example of a particular testing process,the methods contained,when fully understood,allow you to transpose this knowledge,on to the testing of other types of equipment.

With the greatest of respect,i would urge you to move away from "screen" based teaching,and towards books....they don't go flat,glitch,get jacked or overclocked....and the Magna Carta,isn't on a memory stick ;)

When you go into the AM2 the first thing you have to practically do is safely isolate the board but you still have power to the board on the incoming tails so you can still do the Ze test then add your R1+R2 to that to get your Zs.

There is a few ways you can test the motor you either test the incoming side and the out going side of the dol and add them up or operate the switch manually when testing.

As for the commando socket you have an adapter you plug into the socket and you can test every thing from that it's basic stuff really mate turn the isolator on and do the tests.

Just so you know when it comes to testing it you do the dead tests then power the circuits on to do your live tests so just test the Zs of the circuit yourself instead of calculation.

Reply to Am2 Monday Coming NEED some guidance on motor circuit testing etc... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net