Discuss AM2 near... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hornby

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi there, my name is Marcus.

I have my AM2 refresher course on the 5th and 6th of February. I then have my AM2 on the following Monday, which of course, is the 9th of February.

I feel resonably confident although I am generally not a very confident person overall which of course is a down fall and must be worked upon.

But basically... I am here to ask for some advice, top tips as you could put it.

Do you folks have any 'top tips', which are relevant to the work I will be expected to carry out?

Cheers, Marcus.

Anyone?

42 views and no reply, thats one thing i hate about the building industry. Everyone for themself It seems, and that's not an attitude problem it seems to be a fact.

regards and good bye.

Last edited by a moderator:
SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
B

bahco

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
maybe the reason nobody has replied is because nobody has done the am2.

no reason to slag the industry off

T

Tiger

Hi there, my name is Marcus.

I have my AM2 refresher course on the 5th and 6th of February. I then have my AM2 on the following Monday, which of course, is the 9th of February.

I feel resonably confident although I am generally not a very confident person overall which of course is a down fall and must be worked upon.

But basically... I am here to ask for some advice, top tips as you could put it.

Do you folks have any 'top tips', which are relevant to the work I will be expected to carry out?

Cheers, Marcus.

Anyone?

42 views and no reply, thats one thing i hate about the building industry. Everyone for themself It seems, and that's not an attitude problem it seems to be a fact.

Maybe because most don't speak english:D

regards and good bye.

Hi marcus,

If you say you are reasonably confident then i'am sure after a two day refreasher course you will be fine.

I hate exams and find my mind goes blank in exams, make plenty of notes and highlight key phrases in your text books ??

good luck

T

TPES

"42 views and no reply, thats one thing i hate about the building industry. Everyone for themself It seems, and that's not an attitude problem it seems to be a fact.

regards and good bye"

This is very over the top!!

as said, prob not many people have taken the AM2 or have any intention of.

No need to be so hasty with your remarks

H

hornby

I'm sorry, not usually like this

Feeling the pressure a tad, as im near my AM2 and a few other things but hey thanks for your comments anyhow.

Few of the electricians I have worked with over the course of my training scheme have not been very helpful, more of a hindrense infact.

I'm sure after my refresher I will be more than prepared, yet again sorry for the snappy remarks.

Marcus :D

W

WarrenG

hornby,

Why not post some questions that you want to find some answers to and maybe we can help?

There could be many of use on here that have never done an AM2 but could probably guide you in the right directions?

G

Guest123

Hey Marcus, I have done the AM2 and also the AM1 (no longer in existance). You need to be confident in pyro, swa, galv conduit, 3phase systems, trunking and tray. Also there are sections on testing, fault finding and various job cards. My AM2 lasted 3 days and is definitely not to be scoffed at. There is a really good site on the AM2 I'll post the link when I find it.

Here it is,

NET-WORKS.ORG.UK - AM2

The download even shows you the layout of what you have to do.

Cheers.

N

Nicola

Ok - I have taken the AM 2.
Here is my advice - On the installation section.
Start the installation by doing your pyro, SWA and conduit first. The reason for doing this is that you are allowed half an hour at the end of your time to check over your own installation - if at this point you only have a few cables to run, you will be given this time in whch to do so (at the expense of your checking time though!). This is at the examiners descretion and if at the end of your time you are missing one of the 'major' components that they feel will take you longer than half an hour they will not give you the half an hour to try!

The installtion is marked on a points based system - failing to debur conduit, tighten glands and even having a short between the conductors of your pyro will only result in a loss of points - so make sure you do all these correctly but most importantly dont loose your head if you think you have totally messed up. The most important thing is that the installation is complete - its almost impossible to pass if not!

Little things to watch for - time - passes much faster than you think - sounds patronising but if you smoke wait till dinner time instead of potentially wasting 20mins on breaks.
Fuses - you are given two lots of fuses for your isolator that feeds a 16A socket, make sure you put in 16A rather than the 20A. Same with the tubular heater.

Motor overload - make sure you set the overload to the same number as the full load amps displayed on the motor plate. It is easily overlooked when your pushing for time or just under pressure!

H

hornby

Just a small update;

I have completed my AM2 course. Started on Monday and finished today.

I feel I have done very well, although I de-faulted on my conduit so they gave me a pre-made piece to fit.

Although I lose 7 points for that, I feel I couldnt lose many more anywhere else.

One question though! I tie wrapped my main earthing conductor and my main neutral together at the main isolater (before the consumer unit), this was to simply make it look neater within the unit

Would this cause an issue for me passing? Is there anything to say there should be a set difference between them etc.

Cheers, Marcus.

E

electro

Hi

sorry im too late, i didnt see the second page doh

Remember isolation locking off and putting the lock key in your pocket sounds silly but very important. Its good to see your doing the recognised achievement measured test. I did mine thirteen years ago. As some one said earlier time passes so quick, my only fault was my MICC was a bit short and went across the distribution board like a guitar string just about reached the neutral bar (they give you just enough materials). Keep your head and install the bits you find the hardest first.

Good luck

H

hornby

I should find out soon, everything went really well.

But I do have a worried feeling, really, really cant remember re verifying my voltage testers after testing across all phases, earths etc etc, before my installation. Cannot remember doing this or not doing this.

Has me a little worried, would really hate to fail over such a thing. Key was always in my pocket i know that for sure.

Also after you complete the installation you energize it to see if it works, then you re-isolate to remove all sockets and switches etc, so the inspector can mark it. I really am sure I never re-tested to ensure it was isolated at the very end.

I knew I had done well with the installation and my head was in the clouds :p

Oh dear... prehaps you dont get marked at the end. I hope not.

E

emb111

Ok - I have taken the AM 2.
Here is my advice - On the installation section.
Start the installation by doing your pyro, SWA and conduit first. The reason for doing this is that you are allowed half an hour at the end of your time to check over your own installation - if at this point you only have a few cables to run, you will be given this time in whch to do so (at the expense of your checking time though!). This is at the examiners descretion and if at the end of your time you are missing one of the 'major' components that they feel will take you longer than half an hour they will not give you the half an hour to try!

The installtion is marked on a points based system - failing to debur conduit, tighten glands and even having a short between the conductors of your pyro will only result in a loss of points - so make sure you do all these correctly but most importantly dont loose your head if you think you have totally messed up. The most important thing is that the installation is complete - its almost impossible to pass if not!

Little things to watch for - time - passes much faster than you think - sounds patronising but if you smoke wait till dinner time instead of potentially wasting 20mins on breaks.
Fuses - you are given two lots of fuses for your isolator that feeds a 16A socket, make sure you put in 16A rather than the 20A. Same with the tubular heater.

Motor overload - make sure you set the overload to the same number as the full load amps displayed on the motor plate. It is easily overlooked when your pushing for time or just under pressure!
thanks for ur valuable info nicola

H

hornby

little update,

passed all units apart from fault rectification. So it's exactly just the case of having to retry that examination, and i know exactly where i went wrong so i should be fine.

All fine and dandy :)

cheers everyone.

E

emb111

here ive just did the first 2 days of my am2...**** is it hard...I ballsed up the conduit but managed to finished everything else... halfway thru testing and have the faults tomorrow...

how long do you have to wait until u know if u pass...
how is it marked ive heard its out of 200 and messing up the conduit is a loss of 12 points does anyone know if this is the case ..

yours in anticipation

H

hornby

I will be honest i knacked my conduit up and it is worth 7 marks out of 75.

I knew i was running out of time, so it was a tad personal the way i treat the conduit if you catch my drift. If i had more time i would have managed it but hey i passed still and that was with having to use theres.

Results took roughly 10 days and i did mine less than 3 weeks ago.

Have to re-sit the fault rectification unit on the 16th of next month, but i will pass this 100%, so basically after this is completed I am qualified.

:D

S

Spudnik

All that matters is that you passed.

Well done!

E

emb111

I will be honest i knacked my conduit up and it is worth 7 marks out of 75.

I knew i was running out of time, so it was a tad personal the way i treat the conduit if you catch my drift. If i had more time i would have managed it but hey i passed still and that was with having to use theres.

Results took roughly 10 days and i did mine less than 3 weeks ago.

Have to re-sit the fault rectification unit on the 16th of next month, but i will pass this 100%, so basically after this is completed I am qualified.

:D
well done mate..
I finished today it is very intense , non stop the whole way..how do you know what way its marked have you got info on it if so could you post a break down of marks .. ie lights..srcd..ring main etc.
testing inspection, fault finding etc as I hate the fact you have to wait and would just like to get a rough idea..
thanks

P

pushrod

Apologies for being so ignorant but what is AM2 - i have never heard of it before reading this thread :eek:

G

Guest123

Hey mate.

The AM2 (Achievment measurement 2) is a practical skill test that all apprentice trained sparks must do as part of their apprenticeship in order to become qualified.

It consists of a 10hr installation test involving pyro, galv conduit, tray, trunking 3 phase systems etc.

There is then a section on testing the installation and also another section on fault diagnosis. All in all it lasts about 3 days.

Hope this helps.

P

pushrod

thanks for that - i am full time at college so i guess that is why it has never cropped up.

K

kenny

im in the middle of my am2 and ive got questions spinning aroud in my head and cant sleep!!!
just made myself a member and hope for some answers before 7:10am when i have to leave the house.
  • whilst carrying out the IR test does the rotary isolator have to be on so it tests the control circuit or left off??
  • does the 20A switchfuse need 16A fuses in not 20A for the 16A TP and earth socket outlet?
thanks hope you can help
craig.

G

Guest123

Hey Kenny.

Yes use the 16A fuses.
The I/R test should be done with all switches closed but all loads. neons, and other electronic equipment disconnected.

Hope this helps

K

kenny

thanks for the reply at this time. great help. do they motor green and red neons need disconnecting or will they okay as the control circuit will not be under test if the rotarary isolator is not on.

also is up the off position on a MK key swithch?
thanks

G

Guest123

If the isolator is off then the neons dont need disconnecting.

Yes up is off.

Cheers

K

kenny

as you can prob tell im thinking of alsorts of easy slip ups i could do. i have another question for you, what is the charging postion for a em light in a mk key switch.
and also in a mk grid intermeadiate switch which terminals, i.e. top two, or one top, one bottom are L1 and L2?
thanks once again

G

Guest123

Hi Kenny.

The charging position for the em light is switch closed (down).
As for the switch terminals it's the same as any other intermediate - 2 cores from 1 cable into the top L1+L2, and the 2 cores from the other cable into the bottom L1+L2 terminals.

Cheers.

K

kidda

i have my am2 starting tomorrow and would like some information on what you do on each of the days and what each of the points are marked on thankyou very much to anyone who replies

i have my am2 starting tomorrow would like to know what you do on each of the days so i can prepare. does anyone know how the points are marked thank you very much to anyone who replies :)

K

kenny

over the three days you have got the installation, which is mainly wiring. but in turn between you and 2 others you carry out fault finding and fault rectification. i did that first so then just had my installation to do then test it and that was it. it is not that difficult, some faults in the retification are simple, like the lamp has blown, the swithbar in swith fuse is missing so look for the obvious first. the fault finding is a bit more difficult but the bloke/woman there will demonstrate the falt, ie one switch wont work but the intermeadiate and other switch will so obviously check the strappers are not crossed or open circuit on one of the cables.most of the faults are open circuits i found, but describe in as much detail as you can, like open circuit in switch wire in switch on dado truking.
also whilst doing the installation dont think youve got all the time in the world, the time flies so keep an eye on the clock!!!!!

good luck
kenny

G

Guest123

Hey kidda.

My advice is to start with what you are 100% confident with as this will get you warmed up for the parts that you are not so hot on.

From memory a lot of the guys with me struggled on the pyro so this will need a bit of thought and care as you only get one piece.

Have you done the pre AM2 yet?? if not then a little tip is you can write the sizes for your conduit i.e distance to the back of the bend etc on your spirit level, saves time on measuring out again as all the rigs are set up exactly the same.

make sure you select the 16A fuses for the 16A socket outlet not the 20A. When you lock off, keep the key in your pocket not in your toolbox

Just be methodical and keep an eye on the time and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

R

RETIREDSPARKY

Remember all of the assessment carried out are not 100% to achieve a pass. Out Of Time is a no no, and also remember that the more point gained the more possibility of a pass so no silly mistakes.
With assessments D1 and D2 if you are running out of time it is better to have a guess at the fault rather than be out of time.

K

kurtspark85

hi, im doing my am2 next tues in manchester, i feel confident about the installation, but not too confident about the testing,is it true that you can take your notes in with you, as long as they're not in the bay.
thanks kurt

R

RETIREDSPARKY

You will have guidance note 3, on-site-guide and 17th ed. regs book [provided by the centre] available for reference when you are carrying out assessment B. You are not allowed to bring your own notes into the assessment room but you can in the study room.

K

kurtspark85

thanks for that! better get revising then.

R

RETIREDSPARKY

testing
continuity of protective conductors. you will use method 2 as the rig is small enough for the test leads to reach anywhere.
continuity of ring circuit
insulation resistance
polarity of the bulkhead
end of dead tests
live tests
Zs on one socket
RCD test on SRCD.
end of testing

scotsparky

-
Arms
I did my AM2 in 93 and was wondering if they still do the Audio Visual sysytems board? I failed it but knew where i went wrong and breezed iton the resit. On the fault finding the guy who will not be knamed fixed the fault i had to find so got points by proving it was ok.

G

Guest123

I did my AM2 in 93 and was wondering if they still do the Audio Visual sysytems board?
Hi

I dont think they do the Audio visual part anymore. I did mine in 99 and we didn't do it then. What was involved with this section? can you shed some light??

Cheers.

scotsparky

-
Arms
Hi Lenny
Tha audio visiual was a swine. Basically there was a pre wired board and you were given a line diagram to study.
From the diagram you had to install the links so that when you pressed button 1 light one came on and the light sounded. bu pressing another one stopped alarm but light stayed on same again for buttons 2 and 3 then there was a totat reset.
It was a horrible board but it was looking back it was basic control wiring.

G

Guest123

Cheers Scott.

I deffo never had that in 99. Wonder why they stopped doing it, sounds like a good piece of training.

Cheers.

R

RETIREDSPARKY

Stopped some years ago but funny you should be talking about what is in if anyone is cosidering doing the AM2 it is better for you to do it now rather than 2010. This is because in 2010 the AM2 will be changing i.e. assessments in shorter the time.

scotsparky

-
Arms
Hi retiered
I had to do mine as part of apprenticeship. Found the certificate a few months ago and stuck it on C.V . Isnt the old Craftsman certificate a better one to have??

R

RETIREDSPARKY

You must remember the boffins on high think the NVQ is the bees knee as far as qualifications go. I will alway maintain that the old method of training and qualifications was the best for the electrical industry, but if you carried on with that system you would be training apprentices and they wouldn't complete therefore no funding so organisations come up with a simple system that achieved both aims apprentices passing and full funding on completion.
Yes the old qualifications were better and the sooner they are brought back into being the better for the industry.

my jtl officer has offered me the chance to take my am2 in october instead of next year as he thinks that i am ready, which i do also. quite nervous yet excited that i may get the chance to do it.

G

Guest123

Hi.

Has he shown you any paperwork about the AM2?? i.e the booklet deatailing what you need to do??

nothing yet. it was only briefly mentioned when i saw him at college last week, he said if i get the ok from my boss then we can go ahead and get it booked up.

edit: i have, however, seen the link from this forum that shows diagrams off the bay, wth what is pre-fixed/installed by yourself etc. but i'm not too sure how up to date that is.

Last edited:
S

Spudnik

I dont think its far out, if at all, as this makes you demonstrate your various abilities.

G

Guest123

It's exactly the same as what you see there. One of the lads has just completed his.

well that's good news. i've only briefly looked at the diagrams and am happy with most of the installation apart from the motor circuit, as i don't have much experience (well any for that matter) in that kind of thing, but i have plenty of time to read up on that. what on the installation is wired in mineral?

Last edited:
R

RETIREDSPARKY

It's not A1 that apprentices fail on it's usually C2, D1 and D2.

Usually once you completed your level 3 log book the jtl officer will have some idea if you could complete the AM2 first time. Remember they [jtl] will only get funded once you complete your training so make sure you are upto skill before attempting AM2. All I would say is the test might be changing in 2010 and no one is sure what might be taken out and what might be new. The choice is yours.

K

kurtspark85

just found out today that i passed all sections of my am2! made up!

S

spark1

When I served my time AM2 was still to be dreamed up....i got my grounding by 5-years apprenticeship & 1-day a week at college......they where the days when you could get a job first then study for your exams..........these days ,unfortunatekly for manythe opposite seems to be norm,and the job does not materialise at the end of the course !,

spark1

D

daverumsey99

Hi all.

I'm starting my AM2 Exam on Monday the 15th of June.Yes, in a couple of days. Very nervous! I've had a a look at all the information on the AM2 exam and I should be ok. However, I'm a little worried about the fault diagnosis/rectification ( D1 and D2 ) sections. I was just wondering if anyone has any advise on these section i.e. common faults, procedures and something good to calm the nerves. I'd appreciate any advice you could provide.

Thanks

Dave

E

earyzhe

"make sure you select the 16A fuses for the 16A socket outlet not the 20A. When you lock off, keep the key in your pocket not in your toolbox"

I have put the 16 amp fuses in but on the fuse holders it says 20A. are you sure this is correct?

R

RETIREDSPARKY

The current rating stamped on fuse carriers is the maximum current [20A] it can carry safely. The maximum current the industrial socket can carry safely is printed on the lid [16A].

Risteard

-
Arms
Esteemed
I had a dream (nightmare) a few weeks ago that I was made to redo my AM2 (which I did around two-and-a-half years ago) because there was some ballsup with the paperwork from the centre. Boy was I glad to waken up!

Last edited:
R

RETIREDSPARKY

Changes to the AM2 will take effect from the 12th April 2010.

M

Matty2k52k5

Changes to the AM2 will take effect from the 12th April 2010.
Yeah i heard that, apprently it's being changed to accomodate those who work more often in a domestic environment?
What exaclty are they removing/adding?
I was told that the motor and MI cables are being removed, but i'm unsure of the truth behind that.

Did mine in '89...first time I had ever used a tray bender they were new then(always used crimper)..had to bridge a fixed obstacle...only bent the bleeding tray the wrong way. Had a panic attack and told the instructor who gave me valium:eek: ( joke) told me to calm down and finish installing it the wrong way up...When i finished and he came to mark it....never dropped a mark....there was not a point for bending it the wrong way.:D

hey all. i start my am2 a week tomorrow and i have a couple of quick questions.

is the starter and remote start/stop pre wired or do i have to wire it myself?

on the bonding of gas/water is one continuous length of cable prefered or does it matter if it is cut at the first earth clamp and both ends crimped?

cheers.

R

Robo

You have to wire the starter and remote start stop. its pretty straight forward once you get your head round it. You get a wiring diagram and its like dot 2 dot.

Make good use of your am2 prep.

Keep a continous cable with no breaks for the gas and water bonding. Robo

R

RETIREDSPARKY

AM2 CHANGES: FULL S-PLAN, CAT 5, SY CABLE, SMOKE ALARMS, TESTING AND INSPECTION WILL BE 3 HOURS, PROPER TEST SHEETS TO USED, 30 MULTIPLE QUESTION IN 1 HOUR WITH A 90% PASS MARK.
aLL UP AND RUNNING ON 12TH APRIL 2010.

S

super_stuey

Hiya cheers 4 the info. Hopefully will be doin my am2 next summer some time. Just 2 questions:

1) what is Sy cable,
2) any more detail on the S plan system?

Cheers mate

Instyle LED Lighting Specialists UK

Reply to AM2 near... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Top Bottom