Discuss AM2 near... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hornby

Hi there, my name is Marcus.

I have my AM2 refresher course on the 5th and 6th of February. I then have my AM2 on the following Monday, which of course, is the 9th of February.

I feel resonably confident although I am generally not a very confident person overall which of course is a down fall and must be worked upon.

But basically... I am here to ask for some advice, top tips as you could put it.

Do you folks have any 'top tips', which are relevant to the work I will be expected to carry out?

Cheers, Marcus.

Anyone?

42 views and no reply, thats one thing i hate about the building industry. Everyone for themself It seems, and that's not an attitude problem it seems to be a fact.

regards and good bye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, my name is Marcus.

I have my AM2 refresher course on the 5th and 6th of February. I then have my AM2 on the following Monday, which of course, is the 9th of February.

I feel resonably confident although I am generally not a very confident person overall which of course is a down fall and must be worked upon.

But basically... I am here to ask for some advice, top tips as you could put it.

Do you folks have any 'top tips', which are relevant to the work I will be expected to carry out?

Cheers, Marcus.

Anyone?

42 views and no reply, thats one thing i hate about the building industry. Everyone for themself It seems, and that's not an attitude problem it seems to be a fact.

Maybe because most don't speak english:D

regards and good bye.

Hi marcus,

If you say you are reasonably confident then i'am sure after a two day refreasher course you will be fine.

I hate exams and find my mind goes blank in exams, make plenty of notes and highlight key phrases in your text books ??

good luck

"42 views and no reply, thats one thing i hate about the building industry. Everyone for themself It seems, and that's not an attitude problem it seems to be a fact.

regards and good bye"

This is very over the top!!

as said, prob not many people have taken the AM2 or have any intention of.

No need to be so hasty with your remarks

I'm sorry, not usually like this

Feeling the pressure a tad, as im near my AM2 and a few other things but hey thanks for your comments anyhow.

Few of the electricians I have worked with over the course of my training scheme have not been very helpful, more of a hindrense infact.

I'm sure after my refresher I will be more than prepared, yet again sorry for the snappy remarks.

Marcus :D

hornby,

Why not post some questions that you want to find some answers to and maybe we can help?

There could be many of use on here that have never done an AM2 but could probably guide you in the right directions?

Hey Marcus, I have done the AM2 and also the AM1 (no longer in existance). You need to be confident in pyro, swa, galv conduit, 3phase systems, trunking and tray. Also there are sections on testing, fault finding and various job cards. My AM2 lasted 3 days and is definitely not to be scoffed at. There is a really good site on the AM2 I'll post the link when I find it.

Here it is,

NET-WORKS.ORG.UK - AM2

The download even shows you the layout of what you have to do.

Cheers.

Ok - I have taken the AM 2.
Here is my advice - On the installation section.
Start the installation by doing your pyro, SWA and conduit first. The reason for doing this is that you are allowed half an hour at the end of your time to check over your own installation - if at this point you only have a few cables to run, you will be given this time in whch to do so (at the expense of your checking time though!). This is at the examiners descretion and if at the end of your time you are missing one of the 'major' components that they feel will take you longer than half an hour they will not give you the half an hour to try!

The installtion is marked on a points based system - failing to debur conduit, tighten glands and even having a short between the conductors of your pyro will only result in a loss of points - so make sure you do all these correctly but most importantly dont loose your head if you think you have totally messed up. The most important thing is that the installation is complete - its almost impossible to pass if not!

Little things to watch for - time - passes much faster than you think - sounds patronising but if you smoke wait till dinner time instead of potentially wasting 20mins on breaks.
Fuses - you are given two lots of fuses for your isolator that feeds a 16A socket, make sure you put in 16A rather than the 20A. Same with the tubular heater.

Motor overload - make sure you set the overload to the same number as the full load amps displayed on the motor plate. It is easily overlooked when your pushing for time or just under pressure!

Just a small update;

I have completed my AM2 course. Started on Monday and finished today.

I feel I have done very well, although I de-faulted on my conduit so they gave me a pre-made piece to fit.

Although I lose 7 points for that, I feel I couldnt lose many more anywhere else.

One question though! I tie wrapped my main earthing conductor and my main neutral together at the main isolater (before the consumer unit), this was to simply make it look neater within the unit

Would this cause an issue for me passing? Is there anything to say there should be a set difference between them etc.

Cheers, Marcus.

Hi

sorry im too late, i didnt see the second page doh

Remember isolation locking off and putting the lock key in your pocket sounds silly but very important. Its good to see your doing the recognised achievement measured test. I did mine thirteen years ago. As some one said earlier time passes so quick, my only fault was my MICC was a bit short and went across the distribution board like a guitar string just about reached the neutral bar (they give you just enough materials). Keep your head and install the bits you find the hardest first.

Good luck

I should find out soon, everything went really well.

But I do have a worried feeling, really, really cant remember re verifying my voltage testers after testing across all phases, earths etc etc, before my installation. Cannot remember doing this or not doing this.

Has me a little worried, would really hate to fail over such a thing. Key was always in my pocket i know that for sure.

Also after you complete the installation you energize it to see if it works, then you re-isolate to remove all sockets and switches etc, so the inspector can mark it. I really am sure I never re-tested to ensure it was isolated at the very end.

I knew I had done well with the installation and my head was in the clouds :p

Oh dear... prehaps you dont get marked at the end. I hope not.

Ok - I have taken the AM 2.
Here is my advice - On the installation section.
Start the installation by doing your pyro, SWA and conduit first. The reason for doing this is that you are allowed half an hour at the end of your time to check over your own installation - if at this point you only have a few cables to run, you will be given this time in whch to do so (at the expense of your checking time though!). This is at the examiners descretion and if at the end of your time you are missing one of the 'major' components that they feel will take you longer than half an hour they will not give you the half an hour to try!

The installtion is marked on a points based system - failing to debur conduit, tighten glands and even having a short between the conductors of your pyro will only result in a loss of points - so make sure you do all these correctly but most importantly dont loose your head if you think you have totally messed up. The most important thing is that the installation is complete - its almost impossible to pass if not!

Little things to watch for - time - passes much faster than you think - sounds patronising but if you smoke wait till dinner time instead of potentially wasting 20mins on breaks.
Fuses - you are given two lots of fuses for your isolator that feeds a 16A socket, make sure you put in 16A rather than the 20A. Same with the tubular heater.

Motor overload - make sure you set the overload to the same number as the full load amps displayed on the motor plate. It is easily overlooked when your pushing for time or just under pressure!

thanks for ur valuable info nicola

little update,

passed all units apart from fault rectification. So it's exactly just the case of having to retry that examination, and i know exactly where i went wrong so i should be fine.

All fine and dandy :)

cheers everyone.

here ive just did the first 2 days of my am2...**** is it hard...I ballsed up the conduit but managed to finished everything else... halfway thru testing and have the faults tomorrow...

how long do you have to wait until u know if u pass...
how is it marked ive heard its out of 200 and messing up the conduit is a loss of 12 points does anyone know if this is the case ..

yours in anticipation

I will be honest i knacked my conduit up and it is worth 7 marks out of 75.

I knew i was running out of time, so it was a tad personal the way i treat the conduit if you catch my drift. If i had more time i would have managed it but hey i passed still and that was with having to use theres.

Results took roughly 10 days and i did mine less than 3 weeks ago.

Have to re-sit the fault rectification unit on the 16th of next month, but i will pass this 100%, so basically after this is completed I am qualified.

:D

Reply to AM2 near... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock