Discuss AM2 Next week in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
And i am really looking forward to it! Just had a refresher day, they went over testing and safe isolation both of which the tutot said i had no issues with, did some fault finds, normal stuff like open ring crossed over conductors and short circuits i had no issues identifying. When it came to the faults on the heating, i struggled a bit, but go the correct problem on all issues in the end, even if i did use trial and error on a couple. Maybe some one could give me a couple of hints on that?

Did my 1st proper sy termination and it made me think why on earth do people cheat and use a stuffing gland, they really are a piece of cake to do. The only thing he didn't show me was the data termination although that seems pretty straight forward.

I would have liked to have seen the actual test bay but he wouldn't show me, that may stop me being nervous next tuesday morning

Really cant wait in doing this, I will kick my self and never let my self live if i fail any part of it unless its some awkard fault!

I failed the testing section last week 'cos I forgot to disconnect my bonding before testing r2 on that, and I also failed to test r2 at the pump and boiler even though I did all the other components of the heating system. £160 resit at end of the month.

The fault finding is straightfoward. You only have to get 5 out of the 7 fault. I got 6 (i think) before I ran out of time.

Cant express the feeling of disappointment I experienced when I got the result. Gutted.

Superspark,I did mine in July(passed) one thing Iwill tell you is this... Be carefull when you are selecting parts and equipment from the storage bins,there will be everything you need but there will also be stuff you dont need so check carefully because if you install the wrong size breaker for instance it's a fail.
hope this helps,Pete.

in my am2 the tutor had to pause my clock so i could help him replace equipment on my installlation rig didnt affect my time but i didnt particularly want to get off rythym and some of the equipment terminals were knackered, the good thing aswell is they give you 30min to do a safe isolation which only takes a couple of minutes and that time is added to your install whatever is left over.

LIke one of the above posts mentioned there will be lots of equipment in the stores which you dont need, make sure you read through the am2 job pack they give you and wire the ring and lighting exactly as shown, I had to use push connectors and not connector blocks for the two way intermediate light circuit and had to use P clips to clip the fp200 to the tray with roofers that caught a few of the boys out as they used cable ties.

The good thing about the am2 is that you can take all your books in with you and can have a small break whenever you want so good idea to bring some notes in and sit in your car/van for 5 reading through when your about to start on another rig.

Id never installed an s plan heating system before but that was just following the drawing and mine worked first time, my mates didnt and he was allowed to fix it during the time on his inspection and test on his rig, The am2 install is easy aslong as you check everything and check again, I found the fault finding the most difficult tbh but managed to find all the faults (I think) i used up pretty much every second of those two hours asking the tutor to switch back to previous faults to double check but i think that was just nerves.

I have all the notes from the am2 still if you want any info on it just gimme a shout and ill dig them out

And the best thing about the new am2 no long waiting period for results i had mine the next day or two online unlike the 2391 which took 3 months to tell me I'd passed only when i chased it up they didnt even send a letter good luck mate

done mine with hours to spare, felt proper smug till the bloke went to turn it on and check the motor circuit and it didnt work!!! turnt out i had done every thing correct but the motor had gone up the creek!! pass happy days

what a joke fault finding bit was.... was so simple!!!

good luck mate, u wont need it, if u work every day then ur pass it first time no problemo

peter having the notes would be handy if you can get to them mate, if not no worrys, if every thing is like i was told in the refresher day i shouldn't have any issues, allthough the other apprentice failed his last week for not disconnecting the main earth when doing his ZE i thought that was a bit petty as 90% you cant disconnect it.

Reply to AM2 Next week in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock