Discuss AM2 Questions Testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jaydub

-
Reaction score
Got my AM2 coming up on Monday, when conducting an R1 + R2 test on the s-plan heating system, would you connect the line and cpc in the DB, switch the FCU on then test between L&CPC at every point on the heating system and then note down your highest reading?

Secondly, how would you go about ins-res testing the s-plan? Do you test it in two parts, DB to the FCU and then secondly the switched side of the FCU to all parts of the heating system?

If someone could clarify that it would be a dream come true.

From what I can recall when I did my AM2 (few years ago) you only test up until the spur - could be very wrong though! Did you do the pre-AM2 day which they normally advise you on what to do as procedures at test centres can vary?

Yes I did attend the AM2 refresher day but there was so much content to take in and I must admit that it didn't really occur to me at the time!

I would isolate the cpc at one end to eliminate parallel paths which will then give a true reading.

Thanks for the replies, yes I will take the CPC out of the earth bar for the test, I had just read so many differing opinions across various forums about the s-plan testing procedure.

Secondly, when conducting an Ins-Res test on the 3 phase motor circuit, would you disconnect the cables from both sides of the starter and join in terminal blocks to bypass it? Am i right in thinking that the starter is a sensitive piece of equipment? Plus the contactor would be open anyway...

If it is a standard DOL starter with no electronics it wouldn't be, in my opinion sensitive to IR tests. You could bypass it or hold it closed by some means but my ways may not be the ways of the AM2 eyes. But yes with no power the contactor will not be energised to fully test the circuit.

Also remember to do the (R1 + Rn) tests on the ring final and write the result either at the top of the Schedule of test results sheet, or in the comments section on the end. Apprentices have failed for not doing this. With regards to the DOL and IR test, some centers will require you to test up to the contatcor, then from the other side to the motor. Some may provide links that will bypass it.

Jay

I GN3 it says to power up the system once dead testing has been done, then carry out the earth fault loop testing including Ze and Zs tests.

Now, in my mind it would make more sense to perform the Ze test before switching the power on, as you will need the main earth disconnected from the board and I'd personally like to know for a fact that the installation has a good earth fault path before energising it, am I wrong here? For the purposes of the AM2 the supply is TNCS.

External earth fault loop impedance (Ze)should be confirmed before power is applied to the final circuits. However it is necessary to have power to the incoming side of the main switch in order to be able to perform the test.
The test rig in exam situations often has a secondary power connection (plug and socket) before the main switch; with the main switch OFF (open) this connection should be powered up in order to test Ze.
It would be dangerous (and a fail) to test Ze and disconnect the incoming earth if the final circuits were powered, though it would be possible to test with all circuit breakers off and the main switch closed, but it is not recommended.

Day one done! Another question has occurred to me though, when wiring a heating system, would you sleeve all the live conductors with brown, and cores that are neutrals with blue, or is it okay to leave the cores as they are within a heating system?

In my mind you would sleeve all the cores brown or blue depending...

Cheers Wilko

I have the final day tomorrow, just fault finding and the online exam left! Trying to cram and just revise all my knowledge of fault finding... I anticipate that there will be an earth bonding fault such as a broken earth bond or the presence of a voltage on the pipework. If voltage was present, could this be due to a high resistance on the bonding conductor, possibly one of the pipes bonded but the other not, or just simply a partially damaged bonding conductor?

Test the bonding from the pipe as this will show if there's a poor connection been created for you to find :)
Good Luck for Tomorrow !!!

Failed my inspection and testing on these two sub-sections:

Continuity of ring final circuit conductors

Earth fault loop impedance

Have absolutely no idea how I would have gotten these two parts wrong, any one had a similar experience or can shed any light on the AM2 criteria... :(

Reply to AM2 Questions Testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock