Discuss Am2 socket circuit help!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I watched that @Wilko - it did make me wonder about a couple of threads that have come in regarding heated and melted plug tops and socket outlets - could it be a fake fuse providing a ‘one bar fire’ in the circuit under a loaded condition - next time I tell you, next time!
I shall sacrifice one of every packet of fuses from now on to see if the silica sand pours out - if I’m careful I can put it back in an glue it together again!

There is your 1st mistake it's not a Ring Main, it's a Ring Final circuit
Yes it is old Mate, but trainees need to understand circuit designation. things like calling a RFC a ring main, might be just enough to tip the balance in the examiners thought process, just saying.

Yes it is old Mate, but trainees need to understand circuit designation. things like calling a RFC a ring main, might be just enough to tip the balance in the examiners thought process, just saying.
Yep, it counts.....just like the 240v brigade.

You failed as you haven't followed the diagram, they are given to you 1 to see if your competent and 2 to ensure you can follow diagrams, wiring diagrams and schedules etc as they also give you the wiring code ie 6242y so if you don't follow the instructions you fail.

Lad I did my AM2 with failed his install because he used 1mm not 1.5. Like people are saying,it’s because it’s specified on the drawing that 1.5 is to be used. Follow everything to the letter. No deviations.

The clue must be in the breaker they give you....if its a 32 then ring it, 20 or 16 then radial
Not if its wired in 4mm2 that will be a 32Amp Radial Appendix 15 BS7671

I did this today and wired it the same? Is that the diagram on the spec as I didn’t check either WHAT DID U ACTUALLY FAIL ON.
The exterior socket IIRC is fed from a SFCU so should be a radial spur protected by a 13 amp fuse. Also the RFC was wired in 2.5/1.5 singles?

Yeah that’s correct. Goes from dB to first socket then to the FCU then to the 3rd socket then returns to the DB load side of the spur is the outdoor socket

It’s a 32A rcbo it’s defo a ring wired in 2.5mm
I was responding to the post Whereby the poster said it it's a 32 Amp mcb then it's a ring, Radials will be 20 or 16 Amps which is misleading. If it says wired in 2.5mm2 and the OCPD is 32A then you are right An RFC Ring Final Circuit.

During the AM2 exam you will be presented with 3 already mounted sockets and a fused connection unit which will have to be wired in a ring circuit with the exemption of one of the sockets which will have to be wired as an un-fused spur from one of the other sockets.

To do this simply follow the diagram below.

You will be required to use 2.5mm2 single core cables which must be placed in to the middle part of the compartmental trunking.

The wiring is really simple. You will start in the CU with 3 lengths of single core cables (brown, blue, yellow-green) from the protection device to the nearest socket. From here you will continue to the next unit which is the fused connection unit. From here to the last socket and from there back to the protection device in the CU. After this you will have to connect another length of 3 single core cables from one of the sockets to the IP rated socket which will be your spurred socket.

Taken from: 13A Socket Outlet Ring Circuit (AM2 Exam) | -----------.co.uk - http://www.-----------.co.uk/AM2-Exam-13A-Ring-Circuit.php

An from what I remember is the same as when my apprentices did it a few years ago.

Cable size, is important. As it is in singles, they have specified 2.5mm for all three conductors.

Reply to Am2 socket circuit help!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock