Discuss Am2 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brettman0

hi there i have got my am2 on tue and am fairly confident with the installation but when it comes to the fault finding do you just use the test procedures out of the on site guide or do you have to use any other methods???? thank you

hi,yea just run through the test procedures and you should be ok,before i went self employed i went through my apprenticeship with a company that mainly did industrial work so the fault finding on the contactors and push button starters etc came naturally,if i was you i would look up some info on contactors and try to learn more about them because a few of the lads that were purely domestic had hardly ever seen contactors and struggled on them and with it being timed every second counts,hope this helps
good luck

Understand lighting circuits and DOL motors. Well, how to read a circuit diagram.

Its all about ensuring cables go to each point. Lets take a one way lighting circuit. For the purpose of the AM2, cable goes from outgoing side of MCB, then to switch, through light switch and up to light. Neutral from neutral bar to light fitting. CPC from earth bar in DB to light. (ALL conduit method)

If you check all of the parts with a continuity tester (as above) then you will find the fault. Don't stop until you have checked ALL the circuit or you will only have half of the picture as there could be more than one fault.

You may end up with faults such as CPC open circuit, Neutral open circuit, switch line open circuit, reversed polarity.

If you apply that principle to all circuits you fault find on in your AM2 then you won't go wrong. (2-way & intermediate)

Hopefully it makes sense and good luck

Don't forget the terms!
Overload
Short circuit
Reversed Polarity

Markysparky

Reply to Am2 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net