Discuss Amendment 3 and Upfront RCD/Overcurrent protection for TT Submain in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

shaun1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently looking for something to protect a Sub Main in a house. Supply is TT and consumer unit is to be located aprox 10m away from the incoming service. Sub main will be 25mm armoured, and all final circuits will have RCD protection.

As far as I can see, I will still need an up front 100mA RCD to provide fault protection, along with an 80A Fuse for overcurrent (and fault) protection.

Is there an all in one procuct to achieve this? If not, there is currently a plastic 4way enclosure with a suitable RCD inside, but as everything else is to be replaced/re wired, I assume this will need to br replaced for a non conbustable kind? If we replaced the enclosure with a metal one, are there suitable tail clamps for the incoming meter tails, or would a plastic gland be acceptable?

Hi all,

Currently looking for something to protect a Sub Main in a house. Supply is TT and consumer unit is to be located aprox 10m away from the incoming service. Sub main will be 25mm armoured, and all final circuits will have RCD protection.

As far as I can see, I will still need an up front 100mA RCD to provide fault protection, along with an 80A Fuse for overcurrent (and fault) protection.

Is there an all in one procuct to achieve this? If not, there is currently a plastic 4way enclosure with a suitable RCD inside, but as everything else is to be replaced/re wired, I assume this will need to br replaced for a non conbustable kind? If we replaced the enclosure with a metal one, are there suitable tail clamps for the incoming meter tails, or would a plastic gland be acceptable?
British General Plastic Gland Kit 2x16mm² + 1x16mm² Tails Cable | Consumer Unit Accessories | NoLinkingToThis - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-plastic-gland-kit-2x16mm-1x16mm-tails-cable/6037p

Hi all,

British General Plastic Gland Kit 2x16mm² + 1x16mm² Tails Cable | Consumer Unit Accessories | NoLinkingToThis - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-plastic-gland-kit-2x16mm-1x16mm-tails-cable/6037p

The Iet have given guidance on TT tails
They can be connected directly to a metal clad board before the Rcd as long as the tails have enhanced protection

I personally would fit a S type Rcd in a plastic enclosure fed by the tails, then on to the metal clad switch fuse
A bit junkier but a lot safer in my opinion

Reply to Amendment 3 and Upfront RCD/Overcurrent protection for TT Submain in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net