Discuss amendment no3 rcd socket help clarity on new regs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chrishands

Hi I dont understand tge exception for socket outlets upto 20A from rcd protection by putting a sticker on it.
what sort if labeling could you put on it? Im in a factory where we put lots of 16A socket outlrts
trouble is they plug in moveable machines that have natural earth leakage and means we could get lots of nuisance trips.
How could you justify it doesnt need an rcd by risk assessment when unskolled operatives use it.
Any clarity would be appreciated.
thankd

Hi I dont understand tge exception for socket outlets upto 20A from rcd protection by putting a sticker on it.
what sort if labeling could you put on it? Im in a factory where we put lots of 16A socket outlrts
trouble is they plug in moveable machines that have natural earth leakage and means we could get lots of nuisance trips.
How could you justify it doesnt need an rcd by risk assessment when unskolled operatives use it.
thankd

Removal of the exception for socket-outlets for use under the supervision of skilled or instructed persons
Unlike the current version of Regulation 411.3.3, the new version does not permit the omission of RCD protection to a socket-outlet just because the socket-outlet is for use under the supervision of skilled or instructed persons.
The exception for socket-outlets for use under the supervision of skilled or instructed persons was removed because:
it was no longer seen as having any relevance, given the development in the application of RCDs to the general requirements of BS 7671 over recent years; and
there had been reports of the exception being abused, such as RCD protection to socket-outlets at a school being omitted on the basis that they were to be used under the supervision of a person instructed by the head teacher

Documented risk assessment
Omitting RCD protection for any socket-outlet on the basis of a risk assessment is a serious matter and must never be done lightly. Such omission is not permitted for an installation in a dwelling; it is permitted only for an installation in some other type of location (see indent (a) of the new version of Regulation 411.3.3).
The risk assessment would have to be carried out in accordance with The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 (SI 1999 No 3242) (MHSW), which applies in England and Wales, or the corresponding Statutory Regulations in other parts of the United Kingdom. The MHSW is referred to in NOTE 3 of the new version of Regulation 411.3.3 by means of its reference to item 10 of Appendix 2 of BS 7671.
MHSW puts the responsibility for carrying out risk assessments onto (as applicable) every employer and every self-employed person. The risk assessment relates to the health and safety of employees and self-employed persons while at work, and the health and safety of other persons arising out of, or in connection with, the conduct by the employer/self-employed person or his undertaking (MHSW regulation 3 refers).
In order for the omission of RCD protection to any socket-outlet on the basis of risk assessment to be permitted by Regulation 411.3.3, the risk assessment must determine that the RCD protection is not necessary. The risk assessment must be documented and a copy of it must be attached to the Electrical Installation Certificate or (where applicable) Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate covering the installation of the socket-outlet.
The person who prepared the risk must be prepared to justify his or her conclusion that RCD protection was not necessary, possibly in a court of law, especially if someone was killed or injured as a result of the RCD protection being omitted.
The electrical installation designer must equally be prepared to justify his or her own decision to accept the finding of the risk assessment and omit the RCD protection to the socket-outlet(s) from his or her design.

Specifically labelled or otherwise suitably identified socket-outlet
The exception in indent (b), relating to the omission of RCD protection for specific socket-outlets, is included in both the current and new versions of the regulation.
It is stressed that the exception may only be applied for a socket-outlet that has been provided for the connection of a particular item of equipment. The socket-outlet must be labelled or otherwise suitably identified so that users will be clearly informed that the socket-outlet is intended only for plugging in that particular item of equipment and for no other purpose. Unless the electrical installation designer is convinced that the socket-outlet cannot reasonably be expected to be used for other purposes, RCD protection for that socket-outlet should not be omitted.
In the vast majority of cases, it should not be necessary to omit RCD protection for a socket-outlet. For compliance with Regulation 531.2.4, a socket-outlet should be connected to an RCD that serves a sufficiently small number of other socket-outlets or items of equipment, so that any protective conductor current that may be expected in normal service will be unlikely to cause unwanted tripping of the RCD.

​This is what the IET has to say on the matter.

Last edited:
The EAWR requires that any worker possesses the technical knowledge, experience or be under such supervision as necessary to prevent danger.
In other words to be either skilled or instructed.
If the workers at your factory are not skilled, then they should be under such supervision as necessary to prevent danger.
Any RA would be able to show that this is the case, and RCD protection will not be required.

If however the un-skilled workers are not under such supervision as necessary to prevent danger, then the employer is committing a criminal offence by allowing these workers to work unsupervised.

The exception allowing specific sockets to be labeled for specific items of equipment is for such items such as washing machines, dishwashers, etc. Items that are usually plugged in, and left plugged in.
It does not appear that in your scenario, labelling would be acceptable.

thankd
how much leakage are we talking? would rcd sockets work, it would allow 30ma per device

In factories where there are many types of plug in machinery that have high earth leakage or sockets are used where there's an indeterminate use then
1/ training must be given
2/ Alternative methods of protection must be used such as
(a) separation with earth monitoring
(b) Supplementary cross bonding

Whatever you do it is wise to provide documentation coupled with the necessary training and appropriate labels.
A factory is in effect a closed society, inaccessible to the general public so would make the most unskilled person a part of a skilled team.

Last edited:

Reply to amendment no3 rcd socket help clarity on new regs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net