Discuss Amount of LED downlights in a lounge in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TJC1

-
Reaction score
Does any know have a usual spacing for LED downlights? Im normally like to put a good amount (maybe a few to many) But i always work on id rather put to many in with a dimmer than not enough!

Starting a new build tomorrow and customers don't want loads of downlights. The lounge in 7 x 3. They only want to put in 8 JCC V5os. Does any one have a design method or average amount per square meter?

I tend to go with 600mm from a wall, then 1200mm between fittings. 700mm from wall in kitchens to avoid the wall units casting shadows.
The height of the ceiling can be a factor and the beam angle of the fittings. Kitchens and bathrooms would require more light than a lounge really. Whatever suits the room really.

Maybe the customers are planning on having table lamps around the lounge?

Does any know have a usual spacing for LED downlights? Im normally like to put a good amount (maybe a few to many) But i always work on id rather put to many in with a dimmer than not enough!

Starting a new build tomorrow and customers don't want loads of downlights. The lounge in 7 x 3. They only want to put in 8 JCC V5os. Does any one have a design method or average amount per square meter?
8 sounds right for that size of room.

My living room is about that size, but its extended from an existing room... so ive got 2 pendants. The original and a new one.

Hardly ever used. I wish I'd put downlights in now.

The kids like to play Just Dance on the Wii, and inevitably punch hell out of the lampshade.

In my lounge i have 10 in a H shape . 4 on each side wall and 2 in the middle on 2g dimmer . Usually only have 2 on in the middle and dimmed . Lounge is a relaxed environment in my opinion so should be dim and cosy

EEeeeh! ...turn t' lot off...n' jus stick t' pair on,luv...it's reet cosy!...

....typical Yorhshireman...romantic,at 8 watts ;)

Not sure what the fittings are (lms) but say 500each works out roughly at 190lm/sqm (assuming equally spaced). This would be reduced at floor level so probably towards low levels for a lounge (Think recommended is around 300 for a lounge)
Dark decoration/furniture will reduce the impact of the lighting even further.
One of our suppliers offers a lighting design service if we need a more accurate design which is really helpful so might be worth asking around at wholesalers.

In the past, I have contacted the supplier of any lighting fittings I intended to use, for lighting a particular area, and required lighting levels to supply a lighting design, the ones I used were always willing to help. I maybe worth your while to approach your supplier through the wholesaler if they could supply this service, 99 to 100% of the time they agreed, only saying this approach may help.

In the past, I have contacted the supplier of any lighting fittings I intended to use, for lighting a particular area, and required lighting levels to supply a lighting design, the ones I used were always willing to help. I maybe worth your while to approach your supplier through the wholesaler if they could supply this service, 99 to 100% of the time they agreed, only saying this approach may help.
Most of the larger electrical wholesalers offer a free lighting design for account holders.

Yes don’t grab the first lights you see at the wholesaler because they are at the right price point. Get the photometric data and use Relux or Dialux and do a calc. Or get the lighting supplier to do if for you more st will do it for free. 1200 spacing for LED lights will most likely produce too much light dependent on fitting and task in hand. Do a calc and get it right, after all you would not make a guess on electrical loads please give it a thought, and at the end have a environment that works and a happy client.

All this lighting design from wholesalers and lighting design software and calcs seems a bit excessive for a simple project like lounge lighting
It is only optional most do it from experience using the same type of fittings on previous jobs.

Hands pointing in the air approx 1200mm space , base it on old 50w output (340 Lumens) singing "We will, we will rock you" stick low tack tape on ceiling so customer can see layout, then re-re-arrange after finding lovely hidden obstacles:cool:
You've got the idea !!!!

Reply to Amount of LED downlights in a lounge in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock