Discuss An interesting callout yesterday.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you know what you're doing, unless the cables have to follow an very unfavourable route, you can arrange for zero stress on the terminations. They should be pre-formed into shape so that they sit comfortably in position before tightening the screw, without pressing forcibly together or onto any parts of the switchgear or enclosure. Lots of installers don't take the time to do this and rely on the terminals to hold cables that are too short, too long, too tangled or just wrongly dressed into position.

Then we come to the issue of the torque screwdriver...

Apart from poor workmanship its high time manufacturers put two screws back onto these sort of terminations. The actual length of conductor that enters these connections is pitiful. You'd only need to fart on one to shift it once tightened.

Friday I fitted one of the newest Wylex boards, they now have double depth tail terminals with 2 screws on each, I filled it with their new mcb sized double pole rcbos aswell,,,, bloody lovely board :) I shall be using them from here on out

I have just turned up this reference for a trial done on meter tail terminations by the Electricity Safety Council:

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100013801/Meter-Tail-Investigation-Report.pdf

For the busy reader the conclusions, observations and recommendations are on page 10/10.
Meter changes will be an issue on a lot of installations, however in wasn't it the callout fault on this job. The tails come from Consumer Unit into Isco's/Henley blocks. It was down to poor workmanship from the electrician that did the work. The rest of the installation is a mess as well:(

On many many wylex boards that I have stripped out, there has been not so tight terminations on quite a few, but have rarely witnessed damage to conductors by arcing. Give me dual screw terminations any day.
With new consumers units, I do find that a proper tails gland helps a lot and holds tails in place very well. Uninsulated cord end ferrules are probably the best solution to rectifying poorly designed terminations.

I ordered some 35mm tails for a job last year, the brown had less strands than the two - dufferent brand... But god was the blue so much nicer to work with and better in the terminal so i agree with that report.. Dont know if we can specifically order it that way though?

I ordered some 35mm tails for a job last year, the brown had less strands than the two - dufferent brand... But god was the blue so much nicer to work with and better in the terminal so i agree with that report.. Dont know if we can specifically order it that way though?

Friday I fitted one of the newest Wylex boards, they now have double depth tail terminals with 2 screws on each, I filled it with their new mcb sized double pole rcbos aswell,,,, bloody lovely board :) I shall be using them from here on out
Excellent news the cage type clamp ones were just asking for trouble Imho have they given the MCBs proper screws as well or just the isolator?

I’ve installed four of the new Wylex boards with the smaller rcbos. As has been said, two terminal main switch is a big improvement (albeit simply a return to the way switches used to be made!).
And the reduced size rcbos , without the functional earth, means plenty of room.
Only downside is the busbar now sits further back in the board so feeding up cables from the bottom is tighter than before.

How much have those boards been costing? I’m all RCBO boards now but I’m still with the Wylex and now onto Crabtree for the pushfit breakers - haven’t tried one yet but have one to do in 2 weeks. You can pick the boards and separate RCBOs for a good price at the moment.
I’ve installed four of the new Wylex boards with the smaller rcbos. As has been said, two terminal main switch is a big improvement (albeit simply a return to the way switches used to be made!).
And the reduced size rcbos , without the functional earth, means plenty of room.
Only downside is the busbar now sits further back in the board so feeding up cables from the bottom is tighter than before.

Reply to An interesting callout yesterday.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net