Discuss And one more... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Someone has painted over a whole load of the accessories in the property, with the result being that some of the socket's switches are stuck fast in the 'on' position. In the kitchen some accessories have been grouted in with the tiling, then the whole lot painted over. I cannot remove them to inspect for love nor money. One socket has a switch that will move into the off position, but doesn't actually cut the power to it.

I'm thinking:
No code for painted sockets that work fine,
C3 for the sockets that are stuck fast in the on position,
C3 for the sockets grouted into the tiling, and
C2 for the socket that doesn't switch off even though it appears it has.

But maybe I'm being too lenient with the C3's? How would you guys and girls code these?

P7271672.JPG

Someone has painted over a whole load of the accessories in the property, with the result being that some of the socket's switches are stuck fast in the 'on' position. In the kitchen some accessories have been grouted in with the tiling, then the whole lot painted over. I cannot remove them to inspect for love nor money. One socket has a switch that will move into the off position, but doesn't actually cut the power to it.

I'm thinking:
No code for painted sockets that work fine,
C3 for the sockets that are stuck fast in the on position,
C3 for the sockets grouted into the tiling, and
C2 for the socket that doesn't switch off even though it appears it has.

But maybe I'm being too lenient with the C3's? How would you guys and girls code these?

View attachment 88062
I think your codes are fine.

I would check the shutters on the socket outlets though, they might be stuck open, which could be c1

No difference to an unswitched socket
Have to disagree there.
If it has a switch, and the switch doesn’t turn it off, then there’s damage somewhere. That same damage could cause arcing, leading to a fire.
Not to mention someone not knowing the switch is bust pushing in the plug when the appliance is turned on full load…

There should be some sort of list for people who paint over accessories.
We had a load of 11kV switchgear once where painters had painted everything!

From the windows displaying on/off/charged/isolated etc, through labels including idiot boards - absolutely everything, might as well have picked every switchboard up and dumped it in a pot of paint!

Reply to And one more... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net