Discuss Angle drill for joists in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Does anyone have a dedicated battery angle drill or an attachment, if so are they worth buying?

Have to drill out joists at 400mm centres for 15mm pipes and cable runs and was looking at a Dewalt DCD 740N, however wondering whether a drill attachment for £15 do the same job?

Does anyone have a dedicated battery angle drill or an attachment, if so are they worth buying?

Have to drill out joists at 400mm centres for 15mm pipes and cable runs and was looking at a Dewalt DCD 740N, however wondering whether a drill attachment for £15 do the same job?
Have used one of them i borrowed a few times.
As long as you dont go too high a speed an use decent drill bits, maybe even the beaver or auger bits it should do the trick.
Put too much speed on and they can become unstable and spin out.
It also depends on the type of wood. Hence why i find the beaver bits are good as with minimal speed/force they will pretty much drive themselves through the wood with little pressure.

There are attachments but they're pretty crap. Makita do a decent angle drill, I'm sure the other big brands do too. I only ever buy makita on the basis we already have the batteries and charger.

I think if you tried to use any other solution you would get frustrated quickly. I also accept that, like me, you may never really need to use the expensive angle drill again lol. But it is what it is, it's the correct tool for the job.

Between joists I use my combi drills, either 18 or 12 volt, and a stubby self feed bit.
Only ever need an angle drill in tight corners or up into a stud wall from underneath.
Angle drills really don't have the torque for more than occasional use, unless you go for something huge like the Milwaukee hole hawg, but not sure if those fit between joists.

I'm all for the dedicated tool for the job,but there are always other factors...clutter,cost,weight,risk etc

I have used most of the "add-on" 90 degree adapters,such will fit to a standard drill,and the one i struggled to kill,was the Milwaukee.

Used it for steel,nut-running,and some overly ambitious auger bits...wouldn't die...it has even done several do-or-die 3/4" holes through telegraph poles :eek:

They are a tad dearer than the other versions,at £40+ but if it burst tomorrow,i'd have another :)

I have the Dewalt angle drill, use it occasionally and when you need it you’re so glad of it.

But for everyday multiple drilling I don’t see it standing the test.

You could get the flexvolt version of the holehawg, and batteries are backwards compatible with the 18v range if you’re already Dewalt.

I bought the Dewalt DCD 740N, for confined spaces. Works a treat & would recommend it for inclusion in your toolbox.

One thing to bear in mind; it only has a 10mm chuck, so typically only accepts flat head drill bits. The drill bits need to be nice & sharp, to allow the tool to do its job. Otherwise you'll find the extended gears in the angle drill getting a bit hot. The gear selector is also wear you might apply pressure with your hand, and inadvertently change gear whilst drilling. Another reason to have sharp bits.

Milwaukee hole hawg every time. The battery unit weighs a ton but it eats through anything you throw at it. For lighter jobs an angled attachment on a 18V drill. I use the Festool one. The good thing with the angle attchement is you don’t have to add on a chuck if you don’t want to when it’s a tight spot.

I also have a Dewalt DCD 740. When accessing a chipboard floor void via a 100mm dia hole (SuperRod cavity master, steel cover plate), the drill fits through the hole (with the battery removed , fit battery once drill in place).

Ryobi do a reasonable priced one.

Been looking at a stubby bit and my impact driver which I think will get between the joists, should just have have drilled them before putting them in, Doh!
Yep Roly, put the money into a couple of lengths of new bits and use your impact and let it feed itself through. I always thought that I’d need an angle drill but with the impact using short and long extensions with Bosch screw flat bits, I’ve always managed.
Ear defenders a must though!

Have two makatM mains angle drill. Not because they are any good but because one died after useing it on a second job and my year warranty ran out ,so I brought a new one and got the other fixed on the second warranty

+1 Very good, work mate has one. I have the 110V super hawg angle drill, effortlessly drilled through a stack of old railway sleepers. The heavy gearing makes it almost unstoppable.

I've got the M18 Hole Hawg, heavy beast but unstoppable. Only thing I don't like is the keyed chuck.

Reply to Angle drill for joists in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net