Discuss Annoying simple circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Ldm

hi ladies and gents

I have opened a ring final circuit to add 3 sockets. All was goin well till I powered it up and it keeps tripping. I have tested and IR comes back fine. continuity also fine, all test readings are fine. the circuit has 9 sockets and has a 32 type c rcbo. any other info needed please ask.

sorry for the short message but my keyboard is dying.

thank you

does it trip with nothing plugged in? if it requires a load to make it trip, you may have a N-E reversal at a socket.

edit: it would help if you told us your level of expertise.

hi ladies and gents

I have opened a ring final circuit to add 3 sockets. All was goin well till I powered it up and it keeps tripping. I have tested and IR comes back fine. continuity also fine, all test readings are fine. the circuit has 9 sockets and has a 32 type c rcbo. any other info needed please ask.

sorry for the short message but my keyboard is dying.

thank you

You must have wired it wrong, check all the new connections

check an old socket and the new ones.

the terminals might be in a different place.

you wont pick it up with end to end testing if you connected it up wrong
and this would cause it to trip when you plug something into a new socket

how?

if he has put both browns in N both blues in E and all the cpcs in L

it wont come up on end to end if there is nothing plugged into socket.

the figure of 8 R1+R2 only checks the resistance not if the cables are in the right terminal in the socket

I guess it depends on whether you do R1+R2 from the front of the socket (in which case you will spot an error) or the back of the socket (in which case, if you're going by wire colour, you won't).

Maybe this points towards why it's a good idea to do it from the front...

(Trainee :) )

How do you know this out of interest? Not exactly proper practice IMO. [emoji2]
ive tagged along with several firms in the past and been on building sites etc where they dont bother.

on a side note, have you guys seen demma installs, to say there a birds nest is an understatement

brand new bms installs with hundreds of cables tywrapped to ceiling grid etc with no support, i would feel embarrassed installing it but the clients dont mind it because they dont have to pay them for containment!!!!

The correct way to test a ring final circuit includes the end to end tests, the figure of right L to N and figure of eight L to E.
Both figure of eight tests should include readings taken at all points, or as many as realistically practical depending on whether it is IV or periodic testing.

Reply to Annoying simple circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net