Discuss Annual emergency lighting test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys, my first proper call for help here.
I have been asked if I can perform a full emergency llighting test and appropriate rectification at a fairly large site. Around 200 EL points. I already do work at the premesis which includes a recorded monthly functional test of the emergency lighting via the test switches.
I have a basic awareness of BS 5266 but no qualification and I do understand the requirements of the full duration test, considerations following the test (battery re-charging etc) and the certificate. There are plenty of threads here describing the procedures.
My main question is: what requirements or qualifications do I need over and above my BS7671 17th edition, 2330 L2/L3 and 2391 ?
'Winging it' is not my idea of doing a proper job so I don't want to go for it if there might be a problem with validity.
Any views?

hello Rick as long as you can prove you are competent person then you have no worries. The FIA do a one day Emergency lighting course that would be useful if you are going to do alot. Think BFC do same course cheaper

Best advice would be to start any new contract with an inventory of all lighting and locations. Ensure all lighting is numbered, and easily identifiable when dealing with faults. Location of keyswitches or mcb isolating said lights should also be noted on schedule.

I have been preparing an inventory over the past few months and matching it with the building drawings/plans - all 5 floors. Part of my existing contract is lamp/luminaire replacement and general maintenance so it all goes hand in hand. I guess this is why I have been asked to perform the testing. An additional complication is that there are parts of the building that are outside my resposibility (landlord areas) because I am only contracted by the tenants. Will I be obligated to report on any failures which do not fall in my area? - some of which I know are on the same lighting circuits and are bound to be affected by my testing.

Reply to Annual emergency lighting test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net