Discuss Annual inspection required by insurers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LeighSawczyn

I have been asked to do an electrical inspection for a large Georgian property which is a mix of business & residential. It's a 2 storey property, the ground and 1st floor are used as homeopathy clinics leaving the 2nd floor for the owners living accommodation. He says that his insurance company wants an electrical inspection so I gave him a quote for all 24 circuits on 3 db's for a 10 yearly EICR and he nearly fainted. He then told me his insurance company want an annual inspection so he obviously thought he would be paying what I quoted each year.
Anyone else here do annual checks? Do you charge per circuit or hourly/daily?
Is it just an EICR with a very low sample rate?
I'm registered as a domestic installer am I allowed to check the business side?

I'm thinking a full EICR this time followed by 9 visuals then another full EICR in 10 years (or less depending on the results) if I'm still here. Your input is most appreciated.

Do a full all singing all dancing eicr first, then subsiquent years do % testing, but dont test the same accessories every year, vary what you test.

If you know what your doing on an eicr & can understand what your testing is indicating, you can do both the domestic and commercial side.

Dont forget you'll need pro indemnity insurance.

If you are one of these DI's without any meaningful qualifications you may well find that you don't meet the insurers requirements. Insurance companies can be quite demanding when dealing with these older buildings, as they can be a very expensive call on a total loss claim....

Do a full all singing all dancing eicr first, then subsiquent years do % testing, but dont test the same accessories every year, vary what you test.

If you know what your doing on an eicr & can understand what your testing is indicating, you can do both the domestic and commercial side.

Dont forget you'll need pro indemnity insurance.

I don't really get the whole DI scheme .... but, i do know the D stands for Domestic.

So these, erm, individuals, can also bet let loose on commercial premesis? I presume industrial aswell then ...

I don't really get the whole DI scheme .... but, i do know the D stands for Domestic.

So these, erm, individuals, can also bet let loose on commercial premesis? I presume industrial aswell then ...
Well the fella only said he was registered as a DI, i assumed he maybe the same as some others here, a fully qualified sparks but only does domestic work hence only registered as a DI?

Just because they are registered DI doesnt automatically make them a 5 week****** does it.

Even so ... He's a registered DI ... if you're gonna start playing with commercial and industrial go AC.

You have a point though, i tend to forget and just lump everyone with the same brush when i see the word DI now. Maybe the OP can enlighten us.

I have been asked to do an electrical inspection for a large Georgian property which is a mix of business & residential. It's a 2 storey property, the ground and 1st floor are used as homeopathy clinics leaving the 2nd floor for the owners living accommodation. He says that his insurance company wants an electrical inspection so I gave him a quote for all 24 circuits on 3 db's for a 10 yearly EICR and he nearly fainted. He then told me his insurance company want an annual inspection so he obviously thought he would be paying what I quoted each year.
Anyone else here do annual checks? Do you charge per circuit or hourly/daily?
Is it just an EICR with a very low sample rate?
I'm registered as a domestic installer am I allowed to check the business side?

I'm thinking a full EICR this time followed by 9 visuals then another full EICR in 10 years (or less depending on the results) if I'm still here. Your input is most appreciated.

He's also asking for advice.

He's also asking for advice.

He wants to know whether he can test commerical premesis or not ... that's the advice he wants.

And, he's the only one that knows the answer. Like, i've already been put in my place for wrongly judging him without knowing him (apologies) ... so, OP look at your own qualifications and answer your own question.

Simples.

Well the fella only said he was registered as a DI, i assumed he maybe the same as some others here, a fully qualified sparks but only does domestic work hence only registered as a DI?

Just because they are registered DI doesnt automatically make them a 5 week****** does it.

Most fully qualified electricians if not all, will not be calling themselves DI's!! Experienced electricians will be fully aware that the Scams only relate to domestic installations and not commercial/industrial installations.

Didnt mean to offend you mark, just get a little tired of hearing the same old DI bashing, granted some are woeful, but as i say not all are unqualified clowns.

Mind you the thread ive just been viewing is a shocker, state of the £2K DB install and it isnt even a DI job.

Most fully qualified electricians if not all, will not be calling themselves DI's!! Experienced electricians will be fully aware that the Scams only relate to domestic installations and not commercial/industrial installations.

And anyone reading forums!!:smiley2:

I recently had to test some units for a guy because his usual DI's certificate was rejected by the Insurance company, my advice would be to get your customer to check with there insurer first.

Thanks to some of you for the advice. I have asked the client to check with his insurance company. As for the rest of you if you have a.problem with so called Electrical Trainee's then take it up with parliament otherwise deal with it. Anyway from what I hear they're a good source of income when it comes to remedial work.

I’ve no problems with DI’s and Electrical Trainee’s, they aren’t Qualified Electricians, therefore should not be doing paid work in unsuspecting peoples homes.

As for commercial (therefore public) premises, no way!

So if I was to trade as a DI (because I only do domestic) but hold C&G 2360 1&2 / C&G 2391 / C&G 2381 / C&G 2382 I'm not a qualified electrician?

******** it's back to using the electronic quals & bench work then!

So if I was to trade as a DI (because I only do domestic) but hold C&G 2360 1&2 / C&G 2391 / C&G 2381 / C&G 2382 I'm not a qualified electrician?

******** it's back to using the electronic quals & bench work then!

Why would you demean yourself?
I was actually referring to the scams definition, but if you feel that’s where you should be……...

Reply to Annual inspection required by insurers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net