Discuss Another AM2 help post in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

scouse_spark

alright everyone,

Keeping it as brief as possible, I'm going into my AM2 on Monday-Wednesday and I'm feeling pretty optimistic, just thinking of it as another job, however I have one question involving the three phase motor circuit.

I'm sound on the control circuit itself as I've seen the diagram but I'm just wondering how the supply itself connects into it, seen how the three phases go out to the motor from the bottom of the motor starter, but when shown they only had a single phase connected to the circuit via a circuit breaker in the motor starter enclosure.

Any help would be great!

anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is three phase going to the motor from the circuit breaker, I was worried when I did the motor in the AM2 as I didnt have much experience on them at the time but it was a piece of **** mate. The testing was the hardest bit as they only give you a hour and a half to do the full test

There's only two ways to serve a 3-phase motor with a single phase supply. One is with a phase converter, and the second is through a VFD. Some VFD's are able to be served with single phase and drive a 3-phase motor. I'd rather think the drawing you're referencing was messed up.

sorry, I wasn't really clear in the first post, I know that it is going to be a three phase supply, however when showing us how it was wired they only had it on a single phase supply for some reason (possibly so you could hear the contactors working im not too sure)

the question im asking however is, does the 3 phase supply connect into the motor starter unit somwere then come out of the bottom of the unit to feed the motor itself, also were do i take the feed to the motor control circuit from?

sorry i know i'm a pain but i havn't really had much experiance with motors and want to feel confident with it before tomorrow.

thanks a lot

Sorted incase anyone else was wondering, a friend has passed and he said off the three phases going in you take a link of the brown phase for your control circuit

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the wiring diagram they supply - the motor control circuit comes off teminal 5 , ie Grey phase incoming terminal o the contactor. Simple, dot to dot, I've seen harder puzzles in the Beano! Just join the numbers up with bits o wire as shown on the wiring diagram.

You may wish to find out which AM2 test you are completing as it changed on April 12th (i think) of this year and there are some significant changes. (If you previously failed (before 12th April) then it will be the old AM2 test)

Can I suggest you visit the NET website and download the pdf and have a good look through it

Markysparky

Reply to Another AM2 help post in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock