Discuss Another bad landlord in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GOOD POINT, in England, gas cert has to be left on site. as far as I know there is no requirement to do the same with EICR.
This is a shame in my opinion.
we have a moral obligation to inform tenants of our findings, but no legal stature to back it up with.

That's because there is no requirement to do EICR's in England

That's because there is no requirement to do EICR's in England
GN3 Page 13 ‘Landlord and Tenant Act 1985’
States landlord shall keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the house for water, gas and electricity.
Doing an EICR and rectifying the at the very least dangerous bits would surely cover the landlord. I’d like to see a landlord in court trying to explain why he/she did not follow the recommendations of an EICR and complying with the above act.

As a landlord, this sort of thing (carefully avoids triggering the profanity filter) "really annoys me". Most of the red tape we have to deal with can be traced back to toerags like this LL.
As to all the comments about the landlords' duty to maintain a safe property - but that really doesn't do much "unless something bad happens". One the one hand, if (say) someone got electrocuted then the LL will well and truly stuffed with no get-out - but that's cold comfort for the people involved.
And if the LL is like this, then I can well imagine that they would be open to a revenge eviction - putting the tenants in a difficult position in terms of getting things fixed. If they push it, they risk getting a S21 notice; if they don't then they have to live with dangerous electrics.
It could be useful if the tenants got evidence that the landlord says it's all OK - whether that's asking his by text and getting an answer, or email, or a recording of a conversation. Then if they were to get their own EICR from the OP showing that the electrics are dangerous, then they stand a reasonable chance of getting the council to take interest.

But at the end of the day, perhaps the tenants need to consider whether they want to carry on living in a property with a LL like that. Painful (and potentially expensive) though that decision might be to make.
Unfortunately for tenants, the landlords have the upper hand in most areas - there being more tenant demand than properties to meet it. So moving may not be an easy option.

GN3 Page 13 ‘Landlord and Tenant Act 1985’
States landlord shall keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the house for water, gas and electricity.
Doing an EICR and rectifying the at the very least dangerous bits would surely cover the landlord. I’d like to see a landlord in court trying to explain why he/she did not follow the recommendations of an EICR and complying with the above act.

A Eicr is one way of monitoring the safety of a installation
A maintenance programme using in house personnel would be another

If a landlord were to possess his own electrical competence I would suppose he can decide himself whether he is carrying out his duty of care and maybe have no need or care for a eicr

All very well, but there's a gap between having an EICR done and acting on the results. That seems to be the issue here.

We as electricians have absolutely no power to disconnect an unsafe installation

Heck there could be a live cable poking out the wall and we still aren’t legally allowed to disconnect supply

Just make a note and move on
Sorry i totally disagree with you statement here. If you saw someone lying in the middle of the road which you know is going to become very busy and therefor vary dangerous would you just make a note and move on. No! as a human being we all have a duty of care to one another to try to prevent harm. We as electricians have the privalidge to have the knowledge to foresee such potential dangers and if as in a C1 catogarization of a fault within an installation we do have the power to isolate that circuit, infact i would go further to say it is your responsability to isolate and notyfy whoever is responsable. we do not have the power however to enforce the circuit remain isolated and thus if you even remotly suspect that it may be the case that a landlord or even a home owner will switch it back on and continue the use of it even why informed of the dangers then such notification should be presented with it recorded ias in an EICR and noted that you have isolated said danger and informed person responsable.
I find it hard to believe that if you have informed a local authority "that you have found such issues" and "have concerns for a family with children present about the landlords integraty" that they do not carry out a safety inspection of some sort, or is this just in the London area that it is done?

This is why i love my job. Whenever i do periodics any c1 or c2 or any other problems im told to rectify them there and then or make safe and go back the following day.....also means when i come across D.I.Y daves shoddy electrical work they have no choice but to watch me disconnect and rip it out.

This is why i love my job. Whenever i do periodics any c1 or c2 or any other problems im told to rectify them there and then or make safe and go back the following day.....also means when i come across D.I.Y daves shoddy electrical work they have no choice but to watch me disconnect and rip it out.
Hey magnolia. Also owe you an apology for being an overworked overwhelmed c?(k the other day. Sorry sparks

Reply to Another bad landlord in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock