• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Another Christmas light query in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

pgrbff

-
DIY
Reaction score
I have a not so old filament set of lights and as much as it would be easier to bin them and buy some LED they have sentimental value and I'm not sure binning them is terribly "green".
The lights state rated at 24V and 18W. I'm not sure if I have the correct power supply but it states 24V 5VA.
The power supply is getting quite hot. Do I have the wrong one?

Yes. The power supply (PSU) is underated at 5 VoltAmps. You require a power supply which can deliver at least 18VoltAmps or 18 Watts. Even then it is too small because it is never a good idea to run a power supply at its limit. Look for a 24 Volt power supply (alternating current ac or direct current dc) which can provide say at least 25% more than 18W - circa 25W or 25VA.

Here is one ready made up:
1500ma 24v AC/DC Switch Mode Power Adaptor - https://www.poweradaptorsuk.co.uk/1500ma_24v_AC_DC_Switch_Mode_Power_Adaptor_p/xu150024.htm

And you need one of these to connect to the lights. The PSU above will then plug into it. Bob's your uncle.

https://uk.farnell.com/clever-little-box/clb-jl-8112/adapter-2-1mm-dc-jack-2pos-terminal/dp/2931095?st=2.1mm barrel socket

INDOOR USE ONLY

If they are old lamps and you wanted them to last longer I suggest you run them at a lower voltage say 18V albeit they will be noticeably dimmer:

1500ma 18v 27VA AC/AC (AC Output) Power Adaptor - https://www.poweradaptorsuk.co.uk/1500ma_18v_AC_AC_Power_Adaptor_p/ta150018ac.htm

Last edited:
Many thanks. I had a hunt around and found a 24V 24W in my box of unwanted chargers and leads. My wife tells me I'm a hoarder but it's better for the environment and the pocket if you don't throw these things away if still in perfectly good working order.
On my old thread, tripping RCD every morning, I'd say it has tripped twice or maybe three times in as many months, except when we have bad snow and then we can lose supply for hours.
Being Italy I still haven't managed to get the electrician to come and fit the two "re-start" RCDs, I did ask in July and they did promise to come before Christmas. To be fair we have had a lot of bad weather and flooding and I think they have been busy with more important jobs.

Reply to Another Christmas light query in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back