Discuss Another dimming LED thread. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Has anyone ever managed to get LED's to dim using a dummy resistor?

You know when you fit a few LED lamps and the wattage amounts to about 30 Watts and hence too low for a standard dimmer.

I hear placing a dummy resistor in parallel with the LED load is the way to do it but can't find any posts of anyone that's been successful.

I have just read a thread elsewhere about a guy who put a standard 40 Watt light bulb in parallel with the LED load just to see if it worked and apparently it did he also said to watch out because the resistors become very hot and hence need a heat sink attached.

So has anyone successfully managed the dummy load technique?
Does the idea of a light bulb in parallel with the LED's as a test sound like a good idea.
I must admit it sounds like a good idea to me.
The trouble is if you are using LED's to save electricity then adding a dummy load will add to your lecky bill.

Thanks.

Last edited:
but the energy used by the light bulb would partly negate the energy saving by using LEDs.

but the energy used by the light bulb would partly negate the energy saving by using LEDs.

The light bulb is just used as a tester because it's cheaper than buying a dummy resistor.

The light bulb is just to see if placing a load in parallel with the LED's makes them work with a dimmer.

Been alot of problems with Led dimmable lamps heard many stories of returns due to failure, from different brands... some wholesales have stopped selling the so called dimmable ones because of the complaints and high return issues.

I don't think the customer is bothered with the saving I think they just want dimmable LED's. This is a question given to me by my boss who is using an mk grid system for lighting in a kitchen. I haven't got the full story but I am guessing he is using standard mk dimmers with a 50 watt minimum load and wants to bring the current drawn up to the minimum required to make the dimmer function properly. The bulbs are dimmable LED's.

Most companies now provide dimmer switches for LED's, auroglow, Aurora, SimplyLED, LED hut, (there are loads more)they are more expensive but do work. I put thirty down lights in house, normal dimmers didn't work well, when purchased one of above problem solved. Client was happy to pay extra due to working well and saving on lights being made. I think things will get better and better, I am putting more and more LED's in, as such companies are will to invest in the technology.

you can get gu10 dimmer leds. i have used them myself. the t4s are the best.

I dont use e-bay. had a lot off there that are no good, i get my GU10 leds off S.J.P. Distribution,its where the wholesalers get theres from. and they are the only ones who do the tryco4 led. stay clear of e-bay.

I always just use a dimmer that is capable of dimmer from as low a 0w, and it has been fine for me.
I have been told to allow for 15% still because of the start up currents.

Reply to Another dimming LED thread. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net