Discuss Another EICR another cowboy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

baldelectrician

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Done an EICR today- photocopied NICEIC certificate , didn't look legit

Called the local company who's name was on the EICR and they had told me someone had been using their name and NICEIC logo in previous times.
The guy had never worked for them.

So I look the guy up and he is advertising EICR's in the local area (he is not registered with any governing body).

Things we found
  • The EICR stated 100% test (several accessories were tiled in and could not be removed)
  • The guy installed 2 x smoke detectors and 1 x heat detector - all adjacent to the lights
  • New detectors were not interlinked
  • Special new type of bus bar on the consumer unit

20200910_114749 - Copy.jpg
20200910_111736 (2) - Copy.jpg

The guy installed this consumer unit 5 years ago.

I don't think I've ever seen a dual RCD MEM/Eaton before. Strange to see the main switch in the middle of the DIN rail like that!
I think it is second hand when it was installed, the case stamp says November 2012 and the unit was installed November 2015
[automerge]1599767975[/automerge]
Just a question for the masses- have Eaton made a unit like this where the main isolator is in the middle?

Last edited:
I think it is second hand when it was installed, the case stamp says November 2012 and the unit was installed November 2015
[automerge]1599767975[/automerge]
Just a question for the masses- have Eaton made a unit like this where the main isolator is in the middle?

No they didn't, no consumer units are designed to be in the middle.
Think he's done that so he didnt have to change the tails, then that's prompted him to lash it with the links, what are they 10mm? Nice, looks like a kitchen fitters special
[automerge]1599768498[/automerge]

I retract my previous answer then lol, I think they are for dual boards though, ie peak and off peak in the same board

I had a conversation with the contractor who he is impersonating - the contractor is a good one with a decent reputation.
He knows of 3 instances of this guy doing this- my client had him do 2 EICR's with repairs / smoke detectors so there will be more.

This all happened in 2015, don't know if it is still happening.

Well I haven't seen one of those style eaton boards before, always learning!
That is bad he is giving that contractor a bad reputation, if I was the contractor I would be taking action against him!
He is probably still doing it people like that will always be like that unfortunately!

I had a conversation with the contractor who he is impersonating - the contractor is a good one with a decent reputation.
He knows of 3 instances of this guy doing this- my client had him do 2 EICR's with repairs / smoke detectors so there will be more.

This all happened in 2015, don't know if it is still happening.

I imagine the NICEIC will be interested - even if not in his work, then in the fact that they are missing out on an additional membership payment!
[automerge]1599778569[/automerge]

If I were criminally-minded, there might be a money making scheme there:

1. Do EICR, C2 the board, replace it
2. on the next EICR, C2 the board, replace it with the one I've just taken out
3. Repeat as needed
4. After 5 years, back to the first job, C2 the board and start round again...

Constant board replacement income with only one board purchase necessary..... AMD 3 might have buggered the plan up though....

Last edited:
That’s surely not the proper busbar...?

looks like a load of cut up red cable looping in & out the bottom of the Mcbs

That’s surely not the proper busbar...?

looks like a load of cut up red cable looping in & out the bottom of the Mcbs
I pointed out there was no shower switch and the landlord told me the 'electrician' who did the consumer unit and the other work took it away (it was just below the consumer unit), that's where the 6mm red came from

Reply to Another EICR another cowboy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net