Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Another EICR RCD question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

John777

DIY
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi All.

Sorry for not introducing myself and asking a question on my firs post, but I have been losing sleep lately...

An electrician went into flat and did EICR. Would not give a copy until I paid up front and now says I need a new fuse box etc £850 + worth of work. My flat is tenanted and in excellent condition. It was built about 20 years ago. The wiring looks safe enough to me (I'm not an electrician tho!) but there is no RCD.

I am lead to believe that it doesn't need to be changed, since no new circuits have been added.

I attach EICR and photo of fuse boxfuse box2.jpeg

Any advice would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkwood

Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
@John777

I have removed the certificate you posted as you left all the contractors details on the cert' if you wish to post these reports please ensure all information is fully redacted that can identify the address and contractor.
I would like if you fully redact the info' as opposed to partially doing so like address etc.

Last edited:

Julie.

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
On a personal view, I agree with Tel, I would say C3 for lack of RCD, however in general more and more would venture towards C2 these days.

As for the third C2, it would depend on the size of the shower, this could be above 32A but below the cable limit, as it's a fixed load the MCB does not have to provide overload protection so the 40A MCB could be fine as it is.

In saying all the above, replacing the consumer units would be a worthwhile investment.

ipf

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looks like it was done pretty decently. A look inside and at the main incomer and tails would be interesting. Might be a fair job for someone decent. You never know, though.

John777

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All.

Sorry for not introducing myself and asking a question on my firs post, but I have been losing sleep lately...

An electrician went into flat and did EICR. Would not give a copy until I paid up front and now says I need a new fuse box etc £850 + worth of work. My flat is tenanted and in excellent condition. It was built about 20 years ago. The wiring looks safe enough to me (I'm not an electrician tho!) but there is no RCD.

I am lead to believe that it doesn't need to be changed, since no new circuits have been added.

I attach EICR and photo of fuse boxView attachment 84342

Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• EICR anon.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • fuse box.jpeg
    fuse box.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 21

westward10

Admin
Mod
Esteemed
Reaction score
To be honest I'm surprised most of those C3s were not C2. What level of the building is the flat located on.

Julie.

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
To be honest I'm surprised most of those C3s were not C2. What level of the building is the flat located on.
Agree, however without seeing the actual job it is difficult to judge, the FCU in Zone 1 could be a left-over from a heater 2.2m high - I would agree with C3, as realistically there is no issue; if it was next to the bath however then C2 any day.

There are a number of significant errors with the report though - it's shown as C2 for RCDs provided for fault protection - it isn't a TT all circuits appear to have suitable fault protection - so what is this about??? There is a C3 for adequacy of fault protection, yet nothing in the observations regarding inadequacy of fault protection, there is a C2 for lack of overload protection on a shower (which isn't actually needed on a fixed load anyway) and so on.

Not a good example of a periodic inspection, but exceedingly common unfortunately.

westward10

Admin
Mod
Esteemed
Reaction score
I agree they state TN-C-S but the Inspection Schedule states all the first part as LIM which to me indicates the main intake was not accessed, overall that Schedule is not good. Open continuity of ring final circuit conductors I will always C2, overheating at shower switch the same and open connectors at the HW pump would have to see but sounds to me a C2.

Reply to Another EICR RCD question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net