Discuss Another example of why us legit guys are throwing money down the pan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LlandrilloSpark

Did an eicr today on a loft conversion wired by an unregistered spark, Eicr was requested by LABC once they realised they were not going to get the paperwork they wanted of this guy.
What we have here is the head guy at my LABC knowing who this guy is and saying "don't matter, your eicr tells us it's safe"
Thus guy blatantly not notifying and nothing is done to stop him

I went to a job today not knowing what it was as the guy wouldn't explain on the phone. Got there and it was to certify a job that had been done by a friend on an extension.When asked who did this the response was vague. Looked at CU and gas bonding wasn't up to scratch! So I kindly left and explaind I wouldn't certify as I had not done the work. Not worth the hassle I reckon and I believe they may struggle to get one. Sparkys should be used a moral of the story!

hit the cu with hammer and say you need new cu aswell , cut the bonding, play their own game, dont get caught
Only trouble with that is that you are deliberately making it unsafe . Now that is a criminal act that you would get done for.No win situation there.

Did an eicr today on a loft conversion wired by an unregistered spark, Eicr was requested by LABC once they realised they were not going to get the paperwork they wanted of this guy.
What we have here is the head guy at my LABC knowing who this guy is and saying "don't matter, your eicr tells us it's safe"

We if thats the case maybe all us DIs who are part of the scams should not renew our membership and instead just issue a EICR instEad if a EIC

It's a common misconception that it is the responsibility of the installing electrician to make notification.
It is in fact the person who orders the work or ultimately the house holder who is responsible for making notification.
As such, as long as the electrician is not being pretending to be 'Part P' registered, they are doing nothing wrong, and there is nothing the LABC can do about it.
If the electrician is pretending to be 'Part P' registered, there is still nothing the LABC can do about it.
It would be a matter for Trading Standards.

It's a common misconception that it is the responsibility of the installing electrician to make notification.
It is in fact the person who orders the work or ultimately the house holder who is responsible for making notification.
As such, as long as the electrician is not being pretending to be 'Part P' registered, they are doing nothing wrong, and there is nothing the LABC can do about it.
If the electrician is pretending to be 'Part P' registered, there is still nothing the LABC can do about it.
It would be a matter for Trading Standards.

that is interesting info that i wasnt aware off - where can it be taken from for future reference?

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a job today not knowing what it was as the guy wouldn't explain on the phone. Got there and it was to certify a job that had been done by a friend on an extension.When asked who did this the response was vague. Looked at CU and gas bonding wasn't up to scratch! So I kindly left and explaind I wouldn't certify as I had not done the work. Not worth the hassle I reckon and I believe they may struggle to get one. Sparkys should be used a moral of the story!
[[[[[[[[[[[

I had a guy in Fenham do the same. Clearly wired himself. 4MM shower on 40a fuse and diagonal chases in the walls for wall lights. Wanted a db fitting but nothing connecting. But with cert..

I politely declined

well what you do...is find out who this guys `superior` is.....come on, dont you know theres lots of `official` lookin (and sometimes soundin off) hitlers around these days.....and usually at local government level.........so, what you do is find out who really is in charge there.....and just give them the opportunity to justify themselves (the office, the desk, the salary)......

So what's stopping us from issuing a EICR limited to cover the new work building control get a legit cert and no scam provider is involved

- - - Updated - - -

So what's stopping us from issuing a EICR limited to cover the new work building control get a legit cert and no scam provider is involved

- - - Updated - - -

So what do people think about the April 2013 changes then when a non-registered or DIY'er will come to an approved to get work signed off and cut out direct contact with LABC?

So what do people think about the April 2013 changes then when a non-registered or DIY'er will come to an approved to get work signed off and cut out direct contact with LABC?
Lets put it another way. Without spending several chargeable hours conducting your own thorough inspection and test procedure are you going to be prepared to put your name to a legal document which says everything is fine with an installation.

Reply to Another example of why us legit guys are throwing money down the pan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock