Discuss Another extractor fan question! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to install an extractor fan for a client. Issue is that they have a child that sleeps in an adjacent room and they like to keep the bathroom light on but obviously not with the fan going. The obvious solution is to switch off the fan using the isolator but this switch is going to be quite high up. They'd like it working on a humidistat rather than a timer. It will be ceiling mounted and needs to be as quiet as possible. Any recommendations / options / solutions?
Was wondering if an extractor would continue to work on the switch line if the permanent live was cut? i.e. if you put an additional switch in the permanent live after the isolator? Must admit I'm of a mind to recommend a humidistat with timer but just on a very short time setting.

I quite enjoyed that extractor fan question... not your average sort at all. And I particularly liked the small sleeping child aspect to it.... added a nice human touch.

I quite enjoyed that extractor fan question... not your average sort at all. And I particularly liked the small sleeping child aspect to it.... added a nice human touch.
children aren't human. they are totally alien.

I used to work in an office next to a football stadium which was cutting down on dads lifting wee kids over the turnstiles...
They put up a big sign that said "All children must be paid for" and within 24 hours someone had spraypainted a response that read
"Oh yes, they must!"

Hi - my version might be to split it into 2 switches placed adjacent. There are some very quiet fans with timer and humidistat options, both ceiling and in line.83E6E116-A73F-4E5D-B00E-E86BE8429025.jpeg

The only way I have found to have a really quiet fan is to not hard mount it, the easiest way to do that is to suspend an inline fan on string/rope from the rafters above in a loft over situation, or to diamond core through an external wall and suspend the fan unit inside the cored hole, any hard mounted fan will transmit noise, and any fan that is moving a significant amount of air will make a noise, slow fan less noise, but has to run longer.

I've done a couple of jobs with split lighting in the bathroom. A couple of low level LEDS near the bog on a ceilling PIR for a ---- in the night with no need for blinding lights or fan going off. Main lighting and fan set up as standard.
If you need the fuse then try the click modular fan iso with a fuse module next to it. Simpleish solution. Even simpler, use a fan that doesn't mandate a 3A fused supply.

Reply to Another extractor fan question! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net