Discuss Another housebashing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

When wiring New Builds, and positioning lighting points, is it a case of fitting your own noggins between joists/rafters, or is this down to the builders, is it a case of as close as possible to the nearest timber joist or rafter, and get the boarder to cut the hole in the Plaster board, I'm curious that's all.

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
When wiring New Builds, and positioning lighting points, is it a case of fitting your own noggins between joists/rafters, or is this down to the builders, is it a case of as close as possible to the nearest timber joist or rafter, and get the boarder to cut the hole in the Plaster board, I'm curious that's all.
I don't do new builds, but I have seen a lot where every box is a dry lining box :(

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
When I was house bashing I was working for the local building company who had all the trades on the cards so we probably were a bit different to people who were contracting.
We tried to get the carpenter to fit the noggins whenever possible, if not then I would borrow their chop saw and nail gun and do it myself.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I was house bashing I was working for the local building company who had all the trades on the cards so we probably were a bit different to people who were contracting.
We tried to get the carpenter to fit the noggins whenever possible, if not then I would borrow their chop saw and nail gun and do it myself.
"Chop Saw and Nail Gun" lightweight

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
years ago , for a thing like that, we were given an old toothless tenon saw. some rusty bent nails, a piece off a wet bedraggled pallet,and a lump hammer.

Simon47

-
Arms
Esteemed
... we were given an old toothless tenon saw. some rusty bent nails, a piece off a wet bedraggled pallet,and a lump hammer.
You must have worked for my late father in law. SWMBO keeps telling me about how he'd keep all the old rusty bent nails, and how it was many years (of straightening them for him) before she found out that they didn't come like that from the shop :rolleyes:

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
apart from straightening rusty nails, my old man used to whittle bits of scrap wood for wall plugs, and some old aluminium salvaged from WW2 aircraft for buckle clips. ( he was an airframes fitter)

Made my own noggins using bits off old stud joists from the skip

Nicked some of those rough old builders nails to fix them in place

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Made my own noggins using bits off old stud joists from the skip

Nicked some of those rough old builders nails to fix them in place
I used to rob the chippies nail box, get a couple of good handfuls job done

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
i've still got stock of crimps, lugs, taptite screws,self drillers, all sorts of bits from a contract in 1998. all stuff was in "free issue" bins. basically help yourself.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
I also remember when there was only 1 electric drill on the site, had to take it with you when you needed a Pee in case some burger borrowed it never to give it back.
Bloke who I was Apprenticed to, drove a M/C and side car, many days I arrived at sit unable to move, frost covered jeans, all extremities frozen numb, used to light a fire in an old oil drum to keep warm and toast our Jam sarnies, don't talk to me about site canteen, youngsters today never had it so cushy, Portaloos, what were they? do bizzies in the nearest hole.

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
apart from straightening rusty nails, my old man used to whittle bits of scrap wood for wall plugs, and some old aluminium salvaged from WW2 aircraft for buckle clips. ( he was an airframes fitter)
Still use wood as plugs sometimes myself even now tel :)

FatAlan

-
Trainee
There is a skill to cutting noggin so that it’s tight enough to knock into place with a hammer prior to nailing. A skill I have yet to develop any consistency on yet :(

rapparee

-
Arms
Esteemed
There is a skill to cutting noggin so that it’s tight enough to knock into place with a hammer prior to nailing. A skill I have yet to develop any consistency on yet :(
I just use plaster board fixings

I've also slid bits of wood in behind the plaster board but never attached it to anything.

Just left it floating in the void and had someone else pin it down whilst I screwed into it.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
it's easY. thinkl ike a plumber. cUt 1/8" too big and BASHIN WITH HAMMER/

FatAlan

-
Trainee
The chippy I had working on my house cut them for me to fix and also cut a length to act as a template for the height to save measuring every time. Very old school ...cut templates for everything. Had me cutting the birds mouth notches for the roof rafters.

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
For most of a recent barn conversion 1st fix we've been putting noggins in ourselves bang centre of the bedrooms etc. Then while not there the builders labourer put noggins in with central drilled holes where we'd wired for 4 bathroom downlights, then put the ceiling up.... Each point had downlighter written on the cables with a sharpie ffs.

Simon47

-
Arms
Esteemed
Still use wood as plugs sometimes myself even now tel :)
So do I. However I discovered that a pack of bamboo skewers is really really useful - especially when working on old lime walls where you mostly can't get the hole to drill cleanly enough to tack a plastic plug. Saves all that whittling.

GBDamo

-
Supporter
So do I. However I discovered that a pack of bamboo skewers is really really useful - especially when working on old lime walls where you mostly can't get the hole to drill cleanly enough to tack a plastic plug. Saves all that whittling.
McDonald's coffee stirers, always pick up a handful when in there.

Simon47

-
Arms
Esteemed
At the risk of thread hijack ...
I was brought up with joists set into walls, so two sides of the room you could just go up/down between the joists, and the other two sides you'd use the gap between end joist and the wall (thumbs up to those builders that leave a useful gap there, and for those that don't/didn't - you b'stards).
No it seems that they insist on having a wallplate bolted to the wall, and the joists hung off that. So there's a 'kin lump of timber all along two sides of the room.
So what do people do these days, other than just avoid putting anything on those two walls ?

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
"used to light a fire in an old oil drum to keep warm "

LUXURY!
I were born in a cardboard box...had to get up 2 hours before i went to sleep...

I know...
I know...it's a brilliant sketch though!

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Always carry cocktail sticks on me van for rehanging old doors

Leesparkykent

Mod
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Most don’t have noggins....the boarders bring cable out in center and plasterboard fixings are used.

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Joiner’s fit lighting boards and noggins for all lighting and boxes.
Never been on a site when they don’t.

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
You've been lucky then Ian1981
The major house builders have always had to do this Pete on the sites the company have had.
The only building work we carry out are core cuts for fans and drilling holes in the joists

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
The major house builders have always had to do this Pete on the sites the company have had.
The only building work we carry out are core cuts for fans and drilling holes in the joists
I can believe it Mate how times and practices change!!!

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I can believe it Mate how times and practices change!!!
I’m on a school refurb where the builder’s price includes all chases, drilling out, core cuts and noggins, we just wire and install, cable basket/trunking etc.
Draw back is it’s labourers doing chases and they are useless.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
I’m on a school refurb where the builder’s price includes all chases, drilling out, core cuts and noggins, we just wire and install, cable basket/trunking etc.
Draw back is it’s labourers doing chases and they are useless.
On the larger sites we used builder's labour to do the chases. problem was he was Deaf and dumb, so instructions were difficult to relay. We didn't know his name other than he was Polish, nice bloke we called him Deafy, for no other reason than not knowing his real name.

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
On the larger sites we used builder's labour to do the chases. problem was he was Deaf and dumb, so instructions were difficult to relay. We didn't know his name other than he was Polish, nice bloke we called him Deafy, for no other reason than not knowing his real name.
We have a guy called Costy, he gets called Costa coffee instead of his mates

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
My new build used noggins, with holes for cables. Lighting point with just sw line & neutral, live feeds at switches.

At the place I now work, it has suspended plasterboard ceilings. At each lighting point, a square of ply is positioned. They even placed them in portion walls, which is rather handy, when we’ve had to add extras, like paper towel dispensers etc.

Scolmore Electrical Products
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Another housebashing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom