Discuss Another housebashing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When wiring New Builds, and positioning lighting points, is it a case of fitting your own noggins between joists/rafters, or is this down to the builders, is it a case of as close as possible to the nearest timber joist or rafter, and get the boarder to cut the hole in the Plaster board, I'm curious that's all.

When wiring New Builds, and positioning lighting points, is it a case of fitting your own noggins between joists/rafters, or is this down to the builders, is it a case of as close as possible to the nearest timber joist or rafter, and get the boarder to cut the hole in the Plaster board, I'm curious that's all.
I don't do new builds, but I have seen a lot where every box is a dry lining box :(

When I was house bashing I was working for the local building company who had all the trades on the cards so we probably were a bit different to people who were contracting.
We tried to get the carpenter to fit the noggins whenever possible, if not then I would borrow their chop saw and nail gun and do it myself.

When I was house bashing I was working for the local building company who had all the trades on the cards so we probably were a bit different to people who were contracting.
We tried to get the carpenter to fit the noggins whenever possible, if not then I would borrow their chop saw and nail gun and do it myself.
"Chop Saw and Nail Gun" lightweight

years ago , for a thing like that, we were given an old toothless tenon saw. some rusty bent nails, a piece off a wet bedraggled pallet,and a lump hammer.

... we were given an old toothless tenon saw. some rusty bent nails, a piece off a wet bedraggled pallet,and a lump hammer.
You must have worked for my late father in law. SWMBO keeps telling me about how he'd keep all the old rusty bent nails, and how it was many years (of straightening them for him) before she found out that they didn't come like that from the shop :rolleyes:

apart from straightening rusty nails, my old man used to whittle bits of scrap wood for wall plugs, and some old aluminium salvaged from WW2 aircraft for buckle clips. ( he was an airframes fitter)

Made my own noggins using bits off old stud joists from the skip

Nicked some of those rough old builders nails to fix them in place

i've still got stock of crimps, lugs, taptite screws,self drillers, all sorts of bits from a contract in 1998. all stuff was in "free issue" bins. basically help yourself.

I also remember when there was only 1 electric drill on the site, had to take it with you when you needed a Pee in case some burger borrowed it never to give it back.
Bloke who I was Apprenticed to, drove a M/C and side car, many days I arrived at sit unable to move, frost covered jeans, all extremities frozen numb, used to light a fire in an old oil drum to keep warm and toast our Jam sarnies, don't talk to me about site canteen, youngsters today never had it so cushy, Portaloos, what were they? do bizzies in the nearest hole.

apart from straightening rusty nails, my old man used to whittle bits of scrap wood for wall plugs, and some old aluminium salvaged from WW2 aircraft for buckle clips. ( he was an airframes fitter)
Still use wood as plugs sometimes myself even now tel :)

There is a skill to cutting noggin so that it’s tight enough to knock into place with a hammer prior to nailing. A skill I have yet to develop any consistency on yet :(
I just use plaster board fixings

I've also slid bits of wood in behind the plaster board but never attached it to anything.

Just left it floating in the void and had someone else pin it down whilst I screwed into it.

There is a skill to cutting noggin so that it’s tight enough to knock into place with a hammer prior to nailing. A skill I have yet to develop any consistency on yet :(
it's easY. thinkl ike a plumber. cUt 1/8" too big and BASHIN WITH HAMMER/

The chippy I had working on my house cut them for me to fix and also cut a length to act as a template for the height to save measuring every time. Very old school ...cut templates for everything. Had me cutting the birds mouth notches for the roof rafters.

Reply to Another housebashing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock